Espionage-7

Marina

It's almost morning, and I still haven't slept. I hate having to sleep during the day, but I might have to. Mom and Dad are still in the kitchen, talking. I don't know what about, but it's important. They told Cia and me not to come in unless there's an emergency.

Cia fell asleep a few hours ago. I led her to a spare room we have. She's supposed to be guarding, but I thought it would be good for her. I told her I would keep watch and wake her up if anything went down. She was starting to annoy me anyway... Maybe I'm not that much more sociable than Dad.

The front door opens, and I sit up a little straighter. I check the table next to me for my knife and wait... It's Brooklyn. She walks in and sits down. There's some blood on her face, her hands are bloodied and red, and she looks exhausted.

Me: Fun night?

She laughs.

Brooklyn: Sure.

Me: Did you find anything out?

She sighs.

Brooklyn: Nope. Wouldn't say a word.

Me: That sucks.

Brooklyn: Where's Clem and Y/N?

Me: In the kitchen, talking about something important.

Brooklyn: Alright.

She gets up.

Me: You can't go in there.

Brooklyn: Why not?

Me: They asked that no one bother them.

Brooklyn: They'll be fine if I go in there.

Me: They asked-

Brooklyn: I don't care what they asked. I'm ready to go to sleep.

She starts walking towards the door. I hurry over and get in front of her.

Me: They asked.

She smiles at me.

Brooklyn: Come on, let me teach you something.

She puts her hands on my shoulders, turns me around, and starts pushing me forward.

Brooklyn: They may have asked, but they can stop talking for just a minute.

Just before she gets us to the door, it opens. Dad is standing in it.

Dad: Hello.

Brooklyn: Hey, bud, let's talk.

Dad: I was just coming to get you guys.

Me: Really?

Dad: And I heard you talking about coming in. Word of advice, Marina. Don't get in her way.

Brooklyn: Listen to your old man.

She walks past him.

Dad: She wouldn't hurt you, though. She's a pussy.

Brooklyn: You are what you eat.

Dad: Don't say that.

Dad does a full-body eye roll as he turns back into the kitchen. I follow him in and pick a seat around the table.

Brooklyn: So, what are we in for?

She kicks her legs up on the table and takes a bite out of some food she grabbed before sitting down.

Dad: You'll have to wait for everyone else to get here.

Brooklyn: Boooo.

Mom: Did you find anything out, Brooklyn?