9

"I'm beginning to be convinced that you really want to kill me" I gasp, trying to catch my breath the next morning after Ronan and I spar. The more we train the more skilled he becomes, like he's been holding out on me or something.

He chuckles at my statement. "Well you're getting better so I have to keep you on your toes". That statement makes me laugh and I feel giddy inside. In a way, Ronan has become a mentor to me and hearing him say that absolutely makes my day. "Water"? He asks as he moves inside his house and I nod.

Left alone, my thoughts take me back to last night and how odd it was. After my statement he nods and left. It felt almost like he was sorry for me and that in itself is weird.

The sound of footsteps interrupt my thoughts as I see the guard that's usually stationed outside my cabin approach.

"That's odd" I mumble. As he gets close. He usually just stays there whenever I come here. Maybe the alpha asked him to watch over me now that he's back.

"Good morning Ms Sanders" he said as he comes to a stop in front of me. This is the first anyone from this pack, excluding Ronan and the doctor has been cordial with me. I hear Ronan step back outside and stands behind me but doesn't say anything.

"Good morning" I reply. He acknowledges Ronan behind me before looking back at me.

"The alpha asked me to extend an invitation on his behalf to you for you to come to the pack house for dinner today". He says and I have to blink. Not quite sure what I just heard.

"I'm sorry what"? I ask again just to be certain I heard what I did. I turned to look at Ronan to see if it was making sense to him as it wasn't making any sense to me, he was looking at the guard sceptically but didn't say a word.

"I said the alpha asked me to extend an invitation on his behalf to you for you to come to the pack house for dinner today" he repeated. "Arrangements will be made for a car to come pick you up by 6.30pm. Good day".

He nodded at the both of us and left after I didn't have anything to say. I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that I had been invited to the pack house, let alone an invitation from my mate.

Except it was a trick. Yes, that could be it. A way to mock me, to make fun of me but this time, in front of everyone. The thought of him doing that sends a sharp pain to my chest but I ignore it.

"This has to be a joke right"? I ask, turning back to Ronan for confirmation. He doesn't say anything just stares at me. "I mean, there's no way that this is a legit invitation. I mean come on Ron, you know him well, he's your brother. What do you think is the point of all this dinner crap"?

"I'm not sure" he murmurs and takes a sit on one of the steps that leads to the porch.

"I think" I stop for a beat to gather my scattered thoughts as I pace in front of him "I think this is a trick" I said and as I say it aloud, it makes sense to me.

"Yea, a way to beat me down again. I mean he was here last night, he must have heard us laughing before he came in and must have realized 'oh she's getting happy, let's beat her down again. If I'm miserable then so will she'" I say in my best imitation of my mate's voice.

Ronan bursts out laughing at that, whether at the way my voice sounded or the words I actually said I didn't know.

"I admire your imagination Bonnie but I can tell for a fact, my brother doesn't sound like that nor does he think like that. You are right though about another meaning to this dinner but I can't tell what though"

"Yeah" at least I'm not crazy I think to myself as I hug my body as if to protect me from whatever it is my mate has planned for me. "I don't think I should go you know. Decline the invitation and just stay here"