12

Being told that you're going to be replaced by someone else better is one thing, seeing it happen or better yet, experiencing it is a whole different thing.

I could feel how fast my heart was beating, the stiffness of Ronan's body beside me, the continuous increase of the tempo of the whispers as we all as one stare at all five person's at the entrance of the barbecue.

"Tikkana pack, I'd like to introduce and welcome Alpha Garrett, his Luna Amber and his daughter Penelope" Mason's voice carries across the yard and everyone quiets down. "They've traveled far and are visiting, show them hospitality. You may return to your meals".

She wolves run from one table to another, whispering and giggling. Mason and the visitors walk to the food table, get food and take to an empty table farther than ours. This causes more whispers and some point at me and laugh.

All of this goes over my head as all I could see was Penelope's hand on Mason, grabbing, squeezing, stroking but never letting go. My heart squeezes the more I stare but I can't seem to drag my eyes away from the sight.

Penelope must have felt my continuous stare because she looked at me then stroked Mason's hand to get his attention and then whispered to his ear. He smiled at whatever she said before returning his attention back to her father.

A hand landing on mine fortunately breaks my gaze and I turn to see the concerned eyes of Ronan. 'Let's go' he mouths at me and I get up robotically and move with him. Keeping my gaze straight, my head high, I left them behind.

It was when we got to the car that I finally broke down, crying as he drove us back. I didn't know how long we had stopped before I was able to get the crying under control.

I came down, bidding Ronan a hasty goodnight before lunging into my wolf, tearing through the forest. I didn't know much of the pack lands, so I stuck to the areas Ronan and I always ran through.

I kept thinking that I shouldn't have fallen for it, that bout of happiness, I knew that I'd regret it, not with my luck.

I skidded to a stop at the edge of a creek. No. I make my own luck. I'm not that defenseless girl anymore, I haven't been her in a long while and I'll never be her again. I won't let this break me. If he wants her, he can have her but I'll not be here to see it.

It's time to live my life the way I want it, the way I see fit. I ran all the way back to my cabin, grateful for the solitude as I packed my bags. I decided I had to say goodbye to Ronan before leaving, the rest of the pack should be at the barbecue or at least it was ending.

Ronan opened the door after the second knock on the door, as if expecting me but was shocked when he saw my packed bags.

"Going somewhere"?

"Yes. I'm leaving and wanted to say thank you and good bye". I rushed out.

"Why don't you come in for a bit"? He gestures inside. I hesitantly dropped my back pack and went in. "A bit hasty isn't it"?

"No. The deal was I stay here until he gets the mate he wants and after that, I'm free to go" I reminded him.

"I think that deal's a bit redundant yeah. Listen, she's not his mate okay, that person is sitting in front of me telling me that she wants to leave her mate because she's hurt". Ouch

"You're right, it hurts, this hurts so much but I'm done letting it drag me down. But first tell me this, in all your years of knowing your brother, has he ever let any woman near him enough to grab him, or even stroke him"? Even though I knew the answer, I still hope that I'll be wrong.

"No Bonnie" he sighed out, as if defeated. "At least talk to him before he goes".

"I can't. Not if I had any self-preservation. I thought I could have it you know, mate life but I can't and it's no one's fault. I just have to go and be me". I say and hug him one more time, knowing I may never see him again when I leave.