fifty

Life really seemed to enjoy taking the piss out of people.

I sat outside Chris' hospital room, my hand secured tightly in Jal's who sat quietly beside me. She had been staring at the floor for the past hour, the only sounds leaving her body were the trembled breathes she'd let out every once in a while. I didn't speak either. Both of us were too distraught to say a word.

I was over at Chris' place when it happened.

Cassie and I were sprawled out on the couch, watching trashy television as my arm was elbow deep in a bag of crisps. Chris sat with us too, until he excused himself and shut himself away in his bedroom, claiming to have a headache. I figure he was just wanting to try and get ahold of Jal again. She hadn't been answering his calls all day. He even tried to call her off of Cas and I's phones but still could not get her to pick up. Cas and I knew what the reason for her not answering might be, and it really did pain me to not tell Chris the news I had recently learned.

"She still hasn't told him?" I whisper to Cassie, not wanting Chris to hear from inside his bedroom.

Cassie shakes her head, no.

Jal was pregnant, a fact I had learned from Cassie who figured it out herself. That had definitely explained the mood swings Jal was experiencing over the past month, and the small bump she had grown on her belly. I didn't think much of it when I had originally seen her bump. I always looked like that after eating a big meal and figured that just may be the case with her too.

Jal had yet to tell Chris that she was pregnant, and to prevent herself from doing so, she seemed to be avoiding him at all cost. I don't think she understood the mental effect it was having on him though. I had never seen Chris this upset. Not even when when his mum left him.

I don't know why she hadn't told him yet. Maybe because she was scared how he'd react, or maybe because once she admitted her secret to him it would make it too real. Either way, she'd have to talk to him soon. This silent treatment was killing him.

Cassie and I continue watching television, but are  interrupted by a loud thump that sounds from his room. I don't think anything of it, but Cassie has already jumped to her feet.

"Cas?" I question her as she heads to Chris' room in a hurry. I sit up on the couch just as she swings the door open and I hear her scream.

"CALL AN AMBULENCE, HURRY!" She cries out to me and I jump to my feet in seconds, not questioning anything before grabbing my phone and dialing the emergency number, rushing to Chris' room as I wait for someone to pick up the phone. As soon as I see the sight in front of me a wave of terror and panic washes over.

Chris lays on the floor, his eyes wide open and brimmed with tears. his body convulses. I drop to my knees beside Cassie, who tries to tell him that everything will be alright. Blood drips from his ears onto the wooden floor planks. He chokes on chunks of his own vomit.

Someone on the other end picks up.

"I need an ambulance! Now!"

That was a few hours ago. We couldn't ride in the ambulance with him so we had to walk to the hospital. We tried to ring Jal but she still wouldn't answer either of us. It was fate that she walked through Chris' front door just as we were leaving for the hospital.