Carter Finds Out

A warm summer breeze trips into the office stringing along the sweet scent of flowers like a kid racing along with a kite. I sit back in my chair, savoring the peace of it all, humming to myself as thoughts of publishing and the world getting to know Carter fill my head.

The pounding of a fist against my door knocks the musings to the ground and chases away the wind and its kite. I swallow hard as fear clings to me. The pounding continues and I'm jolted back into motion.

"Joy!" Carter yells. "I know you're in there. Open up now."

I scramble around the office throwing books, spoons, and cartons of ice cream into a duffle bag. My hearts ricochets inside my chest, threatening to leave me behind if I don't hurry. I hear a crash as Carter slams her foot into the door. Though it holds, its splintering.

I let out a squeak of terror and race to the opposite end of the office, tugging at a book on the shelf. A panel in the wall slides aside and I dart inside, descending a set of curling stairs. This hidden escape was the sole reason for my choice in office, knowing one day it might come in handy.

At the bottom, I look back and run away from the stairs only to collide with the brick wall that is Donovan. A scowl undercut by a triumphant glint waits for me as I stare up at him.

"Did you really think we wouldn't know about the secret staircase?" he asked.

I gulp and back away until I'm in the archway leading back to the stairs. His eyes harden.

"You might have known about that," I say, "but did you know about the trap door?"

I punch a button on the wall and the floor drops out from under me. For a breath, I hover there, just long enough to register the surprise in Donovan's eyes before I'm swallowed up. Air rushes up at me, wrapping around my body and rising my stomach into my throat. Before I can feel the full weight of nerves at the drop, I land on a cushion of air in the form of a mattress.

Sighing, I rolling off and drop to my feet. I glance up at the patch of light that disappears as the trapdoor reseals itself. Adjusting the strap of my duffle bag, I make for the exit. But before I can a figure steps into the archway of light. I toss my head back and let out an annoyed groan.

"You should have known they'd send me."

I nod and stare at Link. He's made up of wrinkled clothes, puppy dog eyes, and a half smile.

"They know I won't be able to hurt you," I say.

"Honestly, who could?" he says, sliding his hands into his pockets and making him look even more like a kid.

I approach him and we take opposite sides of the archway, leaning against the hard concrete wall.

"You know why they're mad, right?" he asks.

Nodding, I pull out two spoons and two cartons of ice cream, handing him a set. He pops the lid and digs in.

"I didn't think they would be this mad," I say, scooping out a swirl of vanilla and caramel.

"Didn't you though?" he asks. "It is Carter and Donovan after all, you're putting their lives into the world. Now everyone will know how much Carter cares for Captain, though she tries to act tough. They will see Donovan's failure when I got taken. You're exposing the moments in their lives that they never wanted people to see."

I stab my ice cream, feeling guilty, the bubble of happiness from the morning gone.

"But don't they understand how people should know about them? About how you can be strong and vulnerable and that doesn't make you weak? How fighting your battles doesn't always mean fighting them alone? People should know about that."

Link nods in agreement, the spoon in his mouth.

"True. It will just take time for them to come around," he says.

I let out a slow sigh. "Yeah, I'm not sure I'll be around long enough to see that."

Link grins. "I guess it's a good thing I brought a car."

Surprised, I raise an eyebrow.

"Link are you asking me to run away with you so I survive until I self-publish this book?"

"The world needs it, doesn't it?"

Grinning, I wave my spoon out. "Then, by all means, lead the way, my dear Lincoln."

*********************

In short, I'm self publishing A Secret Service and I want you to come along the ride with me as I make changes, secure a cover, work on formatting and learn everything I need to know to make this book a reality!

So, will you join me?