Prologue

Freshman Year
______________

Well, here goes nothing, Millie thought, as she stared at herself in the mirror. She wore a long black skirt and a green blouse. The green of the shirt went well with her slightly curled brown hair and curves but out of place with her electric blue eyes that she got from her father.

She bit her lip and looked herself over as pros and cons ran around in her head.

Con one: Everyone might laugh at you.

Pro one: Ummm. you might meet new friends.

Con two: They might think you're illiterate.

Millie let out an annoyed groan at her
thoughts and looked down at the ground, head in her hands.

Today was not going to go well.
"Millie, wake up hun." Her mother. Johannah, said as she opened the door to her room.

"Time for your-oh. you're already up. Are you okay? hun?"

"N-No," She stutters. Her mom walked in, her footsteps getting closer and closer until her hands rested on Millie's shoulders.

"What's wrong. Hun?"

"E-Everyone i-is going t-to hate m-me"

"No, they're not honey." Her mother soothed, rubbing Millies covered arms. "They don't even know you."

"Y-Yeah. b-but they'll f-find an r-reason t-to." She whined. Her mom awed and kissed her forehead, holding Millie in her arms. She stayed there for a few minutes until her mother kissed her forehead once and pulled away.

"You'll be fine. What time did you get up? hon?"

F-four t-thirty." She mutters, hugging herself as she yawns. Her mother sighed and kissed her daughters forehead once again.

"You need to get more sleep. Please don't make a habit of this." Millie nodded just as her mother pulled her downstairs into the kitchen.

Her father. Benjamin, sat at the table in the dining room looking at his phone. When she got close to the table, her father looked up and flashed her a smile.

"Morning Hun, ready for your first day of freshman year?"

Millie shook her head and kept quiet as she made herself a bowl of cereal. Her father rose a brow at her.

"What's the matter, Millie? Why aren't you talking?" Her mother let out a breathy sigh.

"She's worried people won't like her because of her stutter." Her father dropped his phone on the table with wide eyes, but she continued eating her cereal.

"Now, listen to me, Hun." Her father began with a stern voice. She looked up at him and saw a mixture of sadness and anger clouding those electric eyes.

"We came here to start a new life with new people." He reached across the table and grabbed her hand, making her eyes water.

"Trust me when I say this. no one is going to hurt you ever again."  She nodded. but she was still doubtful.

What if something like that did happen again?

What if all those therapy sessions she had to go to turn to waste?

When it came time to go to school. her mother dropped her off at the entrance with fear pounding in her chest and her father's words in her mind.

Even when they seemed like false hope.

-----------------
Thank you for reading!!