Chapter IV: Dead Or Alive

A/N: I know it's been months and I deeply apologize for that!! College had me hella busy and I was working on a script for one of my classes so all my focus was on writing that instead. I had to re-read the first three chapters to see where I left off. I'm going through finals as I'm writing this so please bare with me a little longer! Thank you!

//TW: Cuss words, blood, abuse of alcohol

_____________________

          It's been three --very long and very busy-- months for both Mingi and Hongjoong. During that time, they've been learning the lexicon, life at sea, how to fish, how to sail, how to shoot properly --at least for Hongjoong--, and more. Learning the positions in a crew were far easier for Hongjoong, but it's exhausting to retain all that information at once. Hwanwoong, the First Mate and --as they recently found out-- Youngjo's fiancé, has been very helpful with dropping the British accent at least a little. Speaking of the fiancé situation, Mingi is drowning himself in moonshine --or pitorro as they call it here-- after he found out. The Captain had recently let them take a break and now Hongjoong is taking care of a very drunk and sad Mingi at the bar they dropped by.

          "Mingi," started Hongjoong, "we already went through this like... ten minutes ago. Last time you came to Puerto Rico was like... a long time ago. What were you expecting? Seriously". Hongjoong just takes a sip of his own pitorro as he pats Mingi's back. The taller man just sniffles and weeps as he rests his cheek on the cool surface of the counter, looking at Hongjoong through tear-filled eyes.

          "I-I know, damn it! 's jus'... I thought we 'ad somethin' special, y'know?" slurs Mingi.

          Hongjoong just rolls his eyes. "Mingi, you're hopeless. It was a hook up! You can't expect him to fall in love with you just like that". Mingi whines at that. "Besides, it's not like you stayed here with him anyway. Honestly, I don't understand why you're so sad over this".

          "I know, hyun'. I was jus'... shocked, I guess. 't was the firs' time I did that with someone so I guess 'm jus' disappoin'ed..." Mingi's words were starting make less sense the more he talked. He just kept on babbling nonsense at this point.

          Mingi was about to take a another swig, but Hongjoong took the bottle away from him. The more Mingi tried to reach for it, the more Hongjoong pulled away.

          "Hyun', don' be mean! Gimme tha'!" Mingi threw himself towards Hongjoong, but ended up missing and hitting the floor.

          "That's enough pitorro for you, Mingi." Hongjoong calls the bartender for some water, "Take this instead."

          With the help of Hongjoong, Mingi finally sat back down on his stool and drank some water. He looked like a kid as he grabbed the cup with both hands and drank. Hongjoong kept patting Mingi's back as he laughed to himself.

          Hongjoong kept encouraging Mingi to calm down a little, "Just let it out, bud. Feeling better?" Mingi just nodded as he wiped his tears with the back of his hand. Mingi crossed his arms on the counter and laid his head on top of them to rest his throbbing head. Hongjoong just cooed at him as he ruffled his head a little.

          "Thank you, dad"

          What?

          Hongjoong was about to ask what was that all about, but Mingi was knocked out before he could ask. Had he heard Mingi correctly? It was probably an accident. Should he ask him later?

          As he was pondering over Mingi's choice of words, Geonhak entered the bar. The intimidating Quartermaster. He made eye contact with Hongjoong and walked up to him. He opened his mouth to say something when he noticed the passed out Mingi.