GOODBYE MY LOVE

James my love, you will always be in my heart and in my mind. I will raise Benji the best way I can. He will never be wanting for love and attention. I will always be there for him so will my parents and yours. Your brother Joe is another story, maybe he will warm up to him. I know I am not the kind of woman he expected you to marry, but we were happy and our happiness will last forever in my heart and mind.

It was a rainy afternoon when James was laid to rest . It seems as if heaven was mourning  the loss of a great and loving husband and father, a great physician who has helped others in need, a loyal and true friend to many people. My parents Andrea and Scott and James' parents Elizabeth and Richard and his twin brother Joe were all in attendance plus our friends and colleagues from the hospital. Our son Benji 2 years of age remained so innocent and unaware if what's really going on. He kept looking and staring at Joe who is James' identical twin.

After the ceremony, the family and some friends stopped by our house for some snacks and drinks. We reminisced some happy memories of James and how thoughtful and caring he was. There were tears and laughter while we were talking about him and his goodness of heart.

I noticed Joe standing in a corner with a drink in his hand, looking pensive and sad, He did not join us while we were talking about James' memories. I approached him but he turned away and walked out of the room. Maybe he is just too sad or in deep mourning that he is unable to mingle with people. I am going to respect his right to privacy and talk to him later.

People started to leave gradually until only our family was left behind. By then Benji was awake and he immediately went to Joe hugging him tightly while calling him "Daddy". I could see Joe's uneasy reaction and grim facial expression. I immediately took Benji away from him and told the boy that he is Uncle Joe, dad's twin brother. Being 2 years of age Benji continued staring at Joe with a baffled expression on his face.

"Mommy, he's not Daddy? He looks like Daddy. I want my Daddy" then started crying.  This brought tears to everyone's eyes except Joe. He just looked away showing no interest in what's going on.

I went to the kitchen with Elizabeth right behind me. " Taylor I'm sorry for how Joe is acting. I think he is still devastated on how we lost Joe at such a young age of 28 in a horrific car accident. No one expected that. We are all in shock and still reeling with his sudden death. Every one grieves in different ways, let's respect that."

"I understand, I hope he is going to warm up to Benji. I don't care if he doesn't like me. My son is the most important person in my life now and I will do anything to make him happy and loved."

Joe sat quietly alone in the garden, not even aware of how beautiful the blooming flowers, trees or green grass look like. His thought is occupied with James his identical twin and best friend. How he lost him so early in life. How he changed since he met and fell in love with Taylor. He was so preoccupied with her that they rarely see each other. However they kept in contact regularly via facetime, phone chats and emails but always talking about Taylor.  He resented Taylor for this. James used to take vacations with him but since Taylor was in his life he vacationed with her making him feel like a third wheel. James' favorite topic is always Taylor, how beautiful, kind and caring she is the best thing that ever happened to him blah blah. Joe does not like or appreciate Taylor at all. He even dislikes Benji, the spitting image of James and him cuz they're twins.

I went to the garden to get some fresh air and clear my mind. I saw Joe sitting on the bench seeming to be in deep thoughts  sporting a frown on his face. I wanted to talk to him but I feel that he doesn't want to be bothered . I started to walk away but he saw me and called my attention.

"Hi Taylor, I'm sorry for your loss" Joe said softly with a forced smile on his face.

"I didn't expect for this to happen. We had lots of plans for our little family. But fate intervened and took him away from us. I feel for your loss too. You and James were so close sometimes I feel as if I was the third wheel every time we three are  together. I didn't feel bad about it, I understand the bond between identical twins are way enhanced. I wish I had a sibling who will treat me just like you treated each other." I said softly and sadly to Joe.

Joe was taken aback with what he heard. Taylor felt left out when we we were all together. I didn't notice it at all. Maybe she is able to hide her feelings well.

"I hope you would be an uncle to Benji. All I want is for him to be happy." I stood up and returned back inside.