SAVING TAYLOR

Paging Dr. Joe Alwyn, Paging Dr. Joe Alwyn to the pediatric ICU STAT. 
The paging system blared several times while nurses and other medical personnel responded immediately  to the STAT announcement.

The ICU pediatric unit was teeming with medical, nursing and respiratory staff when Joe arrived. He saw Taylor leading her nurses with authority and confidence. He immediately assessed the situation getting information from Taylor and doing thorough examination of the 12 year old patient then ordered the necessary treatment and medications needed. CPR was continued until the patient was breathing on her own and stable enough for the team to disperse.

Joe met with the patient's family and informed them that she is stable but needs close and constant monitoring from the staff. " Thank you for taking care of Stella, she is our only child; we love her so much" the mom exclaimed tearfully. Just then she saw me  coming their way and she gave me a big hug." You are the best, thank you Taylor". to which I replied "My team and I are just doing our job" then patted the mom's shoulder and acknowledged the father standing nearby.

"Nice job in there. You handled that emergency with calmness and composure and your team responded well to your leadership. Now I understand why James called you the best nurse ever. Will you join me for lunch later?" Joe asked with a smile.

"Sure, I'll finish up here and check on my patient and thank my team."

Joe was waiting for me  by the cafeteria door and waved at each other with big smiles on our  faces. We chose our food and sat by the window facing each other across the table. We talked about some cases in the hospital and our experience in dealing with the demanding daily routine of our jobs. Then he surprised me by apologizing for his behavior after James' funeral. I made him know that I understood him and all is forgiven. He smiled when he heard my response. and squeezed my hand.

The daily lunches didn't escape the eyes of the people around us. I see people whispering and smiling every time they see Joe and I  together. Joe is undeniably a handsome man tall, blonde, blue eyed, intelligent and  charming. I see women flirting and trying to attract his attention but he seemed nonchalant and not interested with the scrutiny that he gets. Some women even give me menacing looks when I am with him. I feel that Joe treats me like a sister or a good friend.

Joe has warmed up to Benji and they both enjoy spending time with each other. He comes to our house at least 3 times weekly for play dates with Benji and dinner that we both prepare. I also noticed that he has taken the role of a father figure to my son.  We continued our weekly visit to James' graveyard with Joe coming with us and this makes me happy.

One night while Joe was visiting, I got a phone call from Chris. After some pleasantries, he asked me out for dinner. I was hesitant to accept his invitation due to babysitter problem. 
" Raincheck? I want to have another date with you at your convenience. Call me when it's feasible for you". I promised to call him if it's ok.

After I hanged up, I called Gigi and Martha if they are available to babysit that Saturday but they had plans. Joe heard my calls and he volunteered to stay with Benji that Saturday. I told him that I was invited for a dinner date by a friend. He had an unreadable facial expression when he heard me. He assured me that he will be with Benji. I gave him a big smile and a hug then called Chris.

Saturday Joe picked up Benji at noon for lunch and a movie. I prepared dinner of spaghetti and meat balls on marinara sauce for their dinner. I started to get ready at 5pm for my 7pm dinner date, choosing a little black mini dress with a halter neck back clasp, open back with side straps and banded waist paired with black high heels.  My haired is styled with loose curls and side bangs. I applied very minimal make up and my red lipstick. For accessories I wore a long dangling pair of gold earrings and a red patent clutch bag.

At 6:30pm Joe and Benji came home. As soon as Beni saw me he had a beaming smile and said " Momma you look so beautiful" Thank you my baby" was my simple reply.

I saw Joe checking me out from head to foot. Is that a glint of desire in his eyes? He just kept staring at my face and attire and even walked around to see my back. Did I hear a small gasp escape his lips or am I imagining  hearing things. I started to feel bothered by his action thankfully the doorbell rang.

I welcomed Chris into my house and introduced him to Joe. Both men sized each other up, then Joe came close to me and whispered " be careful Tay. I don't trust him." I could feel his hot breath on my ear and cheek making me blush and felt goosebumps on my arms.

As soon as Taylor and Chris left, Joe felt annoyed at himself. Why did I agree to babysit tonight. Taylor would have been home with Benji and me. We would have been sharing a meal and having fun. I have to be honest with myself, I have fallen in love with her. She is kind, caring, compassionate, beautiful and a great mother to Benji. I remember how rude I was to her after James' funeral but she showed understanding  and kindness towards me. She is a beautiful woman  and I see how  men look at her with desire and want but she  has remained composed and unruffled by all this attention. I felt jealous and upset thinking she is with Chris right now.

Chris took me  into a fancy restaurant in the city. He showered me  with attention  and his full on charm. I was attentive at first but my mind kept going back to Joe's reaction and warning about Chris. I know Chris is a nice guy but is he capable of hurting me or taking advantage of me? I haven't seen any indication that he is untrustworthy. Why did Joe  say that? These questions kept on nagging me all throughout dinner.

"Taylor, are you okay? You seem to be preoccupied with something. Is there anything I can do for you?

"I'm good. I guess I am just exhausted from my job. I'll be fine".
"I will take you home early so you can rest". he replied.

Joe has put Benji to bed and was checking his email when he heard a car stop in front of the house. Then he heard the door open and scuffling sounds by the door.

"No, stop, don't  touch me!!!  Let me go!!!"

Joe rushed to the door and saw Taylor struggling from Chris' arms. She was pushing him and kicking him as hard as she could. Joe yelled" let her go" Then grabbed Chris' arms and gave him a hard powerful punch on the face. Chris fell onto the pavement, stood up and drove away as fast as he can. 

I was crying and shaking from anger and fear. Joe pulled me unto his arms  and I cried on his chest letting all the pent up emotions I have been holding in. Joe carried me into the house and sat me on his lap while rubbing my back gently. 

"You're safe now Tay. I will not allow anyone to hurt or take advantage of you. I will always be there for you and protect you with all I have. I promise you I will keep you and Benji safe  and free from harm." Joe held Taylor's chin lovingly looked into tear stained deep blue eyes and gently wiped her cheeks with his hands. He kissed her soft lips gently then  deepened the kiss with tongues into each other's mouth tasting each other while moaning and groaning with pleasure.