 o. what the heart wants.

PRELUDE.

 HAZEL PROCTOR THOUGHT THE whole situation to be a curse

 HAZEL PROCTOR THOUGHT THE whole situation to be a curse. How cruel could the universe be, how irresponsible was it to leave fate by itself as if it were a toddler without supervision? She watched again, for the millionth time that year, as James Potter attempted to flirt with her best friend. She felt her heart break, once again and this feeling wouldn't stop. Hazel could feel the sympathetic gazes from Sirius Black and Remus Lupin (who, along with Lily Evans, knew of her pathetic crush on Potter).

It was cruel. Hazel wished that she was on the receiving end of his attention, which she thought was pretty lame of her. She was practically the star of the current Gryffindor Quidditch team, and a small piece of her wished to have her crush's attention, to be the one that James Potter flirted with and chased after like he did with Lily Evans. She wanted to be the redhead that he always talked about; but instead, fate had deemed her as the redhead that James Potter didn't know existed, even though they had been in school together for the past five years and on the same quidditch team for three. It was absolutely cruel, and Hazel Proctor would absolutely stand by that opinion until the day she died.

Her heart would always want what she couldn't have; relationship wise, anyway. She had promised herself that she wouldn't chase after the boy, not like he chased after Lily Evans. Hazel Proctor would simply let fate take the wheel, her only main focus was obtaining the title of Gryffindor Captain in just a couple months.

With a harsh huff, she tore her eyes away from James and Lily, and returned her attention to the notebook in front of her. Notes neatly filled the pages; notes of past quidditch games and different maneuvers and different techniques and various drills she wanted to try with her team when she was awarded captaincy.

"Oi, Sweet Cheeks!" Hazel looked up at the familiar nickname that Sirius Black called her, and she was met with his teasing grin. Despite that Sirius was openly in a relationship with Remus Lupin (usually always visible with their hands locked together), he always flirted with the other redhead, usually to keep the smile on her face as her crush flirted with another girl. Sirius' grin only grew. "Do you ever not work on Quidditch notes? You're more obsessed with Quidditch than James."

Hazel rolled her eyes, and playfully tossed her pen at the raven-haired boy. Sirius caught the pen with one hand, the hand that wasn't currently locked with Remus, and held the pen in the air. Hazel giggled at the curious expressed that he wore before he tossed it back, and narrowly missed her head and it slid underneath the Slytherin table. Hazel tried to glare, but Sirius shrugged, and laughed loudly.

"For your information, Black," Hazel started, her tone sharp, but also playful. "I'm working towards being Captain. Potter happens to be my only competitor."

"It's a fifty-fifty shot," Remus shrugged, as he popped a small biscuit into his mouth. "I don't see why you two couldn't co-captain."

Hazel frowned, "I hear enough of his flirting, and Lily's complaints. I don't need to hear Potter's love sick comments, and besides, I don't do co-captains or whatever. My life belongs to Quidditch, Lupin."

Remus rolled his eyes, and laid his head against Sirius' shoulder. Hazel didn't miss the slight grin that the raven-haired boy had, and the way he pressed a kiss to the other boy's temple.

"Our friends are hopeless, Pads."

Sirius scoffed, but quickly grinned. "You said the same thing about me, but now I'm dating the cutest boy in school."

"Sickening," Hazel commented, rolling her eyes as she smiled though; receiving such a big grin from Sirius Black and blushing cheeks from Remus Lupin.

"Hey, Haz!" Marlene laughed, pulling her attention away from a frustrated Lily. Part of her had been eavesdropping on Hazel's conversation with the two other boys. "Aren't you gonna sign with a professional team after school?"

Hazel glared at Marlene McKinnon, the blonde was trying something. For as long as James Potter had been flirting with Lily Evans, all their friends had tried to put Hazel in his spotlight instead. They all swore that he was going after the wrong redhead.

"Once the war is over," Hazel answered simply and she shrugged her shoulders. She then grinned, "To play professionally, it's what my hearts want."

Marlene and Sirius shared the same smirk, which Hazel happily ignored and went back to her notes. The heart wants whatever the heart wants, there is no control over that.

author's note ➫ lowkey hate the chapter? every time, but I'm finally happy with this

author's note ➫ lowkey hate the chapter? every time, but I'm finally happy with this. I love Hazel Proctor so much, and prepare, bc most of this book is a lot of angst on Haz's part 😬 so it's gonna be fun