 iii. detention

CHAPTER THREE.

 HAZEL PROCTOR ENJOYED THE CALM atmosphere that the Black Lake brought to her

 HAZEL PROCTOR ENJOYED THE CALM atmosphere that the Black Lake brought to her. Birds and other creatures chirped happily, and soaked in the warm weather before the chill arrived; it always took everyone by surprise. She was sat in the grass, and had been since her last class was over. First-day lectures had always been so incredibly boring to Hazel Proctor. It was always the same; another year, same expectations but different phrases — you're older now, you're expected to act maturely. She'd roll her eyes and fish out her notebook and muggle pen (and pray to whoever was listening that the professor didn't confiscate her ink pen).

Hazel listened as the remaining summer breeze rippled the water of the lake, and she basked in the last warmth of the sun. Golden hour had begun just only five minutes ago, and it wouldn't be long until she had to force herself to head back to castle before curfew. Not that Hazel ever had a problem with Filch before, but this was not the year for her to have problems. Quite honestly, she was still frustrated about Potter (although, curse him because Hazel can't ever seem to stay mad at the boy) getting the title of captain for the Gryffindor Quidditch team, and the sensitive topic of her father's business travels were a tad bit stressful— the icing on top of the cake.

So, needless to say, she believed that she needed a couple hours of peace. Hazel closed her closed her eyes, and breathed in deeply, inhaling the fresh summer air. The chirping of birds and other creatures began to die down a bit. That was the thing that sucked about Golden Hour; once it began, it felt like the sun sunk below the horizon a bit faster, like a student ready to get out of their least favorite class.

"Oi! Proctor!"

Hazel groaned softly, but opened her eyes and peered over her shoulder. Marlene McKinnon, Lily Evans, and another girl dressed in Hufflepuff robes were nearly toppling down the grassy slope towards her.

"How may I be of service, ladies?" Hazel smirked, her attempt of acting proper having failed.

Marlene grinned once the three girls were stood in front of her, and Marlene offered her hand to pull the redhead off the ground; which Hazel took.

"We were wondering where you were," Marlene countered. "It's a shame you weren't at dinner. James and Sirius managed to charm Snape's goblet at dinner— had him running around the Great Hall for a good ten minutes!"

Lily rolled her eyes, but Hazel bit down on her bottom lip to prevent the laughter that she knew was coming. As much as she wanted to disapprove of the prank, or disturbance or whatever it was called, she did find it a bit funny.

"Slughorn wasn't all that pleased," the Hufflepuff girl mentioned with a slight smile. Hazel was beginning to have her suspicions about the girl, especially as she noticed that the girl's and Lily's hands reached for the other without completing touching. She shrugged, "But as much as Snape probably didn't deserve it today, it was sort of funny."