03. Parents & Friends

A FEW YEARS PASSED BY AND PHOEBE AND TOM BEGAN TO GROW INTO STUNNING TEENS. They both got taller, and much more attractive. Tom had tons of girls wanting to be with him, whilst Phoebe found herself becoming interested in boys.

     Both of them had had their fair share of arguments and disagreement over the years—mostly over Phoebe's desire for friends—but other than that, the two friends stayed close. During the summer, they would pretend that none of the arguments that held at school ever happened. Then, when they returned to Hogwarts, the drama would begin all over again.

     It always happened the same way.

     Tom and Phoebe would be close when they first arrived, and then after a few months Phoebe would attempt to make a friend. If it was a girl, she would randomly stop speaking to her with no explanation. If it was a boy, well, who was she kidding. No boy ever talked to her because of Tom's menacing glares.

     Honestly, she was surprised none of the professors had noticed how cruel he was to some of his fellow students. But, nonetheless, people still seemed to fawn over him.

     It didn't matter how many times he threatened someone to stay away from her, or how many times he told a girl she would never be good enough for him, everyone seemed to love him.

     Phoebe was convinced he had everyone under his spell.

     Or maybe it was because he never outright threatened or told someone those things. It was always said in a cunning way. "I'm waiting for the right person." He would say with a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. "I won't be responsible for what will happen to you if you don't stop speaking to her." He would shrug as he threw an arm around Phoebe.

     Yes, he was far too cunning.

     But no matter how aggravated Phoebe got at him for his actions, she always found herself going back to him. When she needed help with homework, a shoulder to cry on, someone to talk to you, or even just someone to sit by.

     In that moment it didn't matter that he was the reason for most of her troubles. He would always rub her back and softly whisper comforting words. He would diligently help her with homework so that she excelled in whichever subject. He was simply Tom, and she was Phoebe.

     But then, when the moment was over, reality would hit. She would become angry again, and they would argue. Again. Because Phoebe refuses to roll over and do as she was told. She didn't want to listen to anyone.

Especially not Tom Riddle.

˗ˏˋ 🐍 ˎˊ˗

"I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S OUR FIFTH YEAR ALREADY." said Phoebe as she walked beside Tom. They were both about to get on the Hogwarts train, and neither one of them were willing to separate from each other. Like every year, they chose to pretend everything was perfect until something, or someone, said otherwise.

"Time has been going by rather quickly." Tom said tonelessly. "We're almost sixteen."

     "Oh right! I almost forgot." Phoebe exclaimed, "I can't believe it. Honestly I thought that age would never come."

     Tom let out a small laugh, though it sounded empty, "I feel the same way."

     Silence resided between them as they found a place on the train to sit. Finally, they found a compartment and made themselves comfortable. Phoebe placed herself next to the window and Tom sat next to her.