Wednesday Part 3- How many times has that happened?

"So, Mallow," Chilli said, leading everyone to the large kitchen. "My brothers and I were hoping you could show us some Alolan dishes while we show you our specialties."

"We know we have a few different ingredients compared to Alola," Cress added. "But we were hoping for a bit of creativity. What do you think?"

Mallow's eyes shone as she took in the kitchen and all the ingredients.

"Yeah," Mallow nodded as she examined some berries. "Yeah, I think I can make some great dishes with all of these. But I'll have to taste test some of these so I'll know the best ones to use."

"I'll help!" Sophocles offered eagerly while Togedemaru squealed. Everyone chuckled

"I can always count on you, Sophocles," Mallow smiled. "How about you, Ash? You going to help with the taste testing too?"

"I don't know," Ash said thoughtfully as he stared at the ingredients. "There's twelve of us, plus all our Pokémon. And Munchlax too. Maybe we need more.""

"Ash? Did you hear me?" Mallow asked.

"What?" Ash asked, breaking out of his train of thought. "Oh sorry. Did you say something, Mallow?"

"I asked if you were going to help with the taste testing," Mallow repeated. "What were you talking about?"

"The ingredients," Ash answered. "I don't think there's enough."

"Really?" Chilli asked in surprise. "I swear we brought plenty of food. Cress?"

"Yes, I did the calculations this morning," Cress nodded.

"Did those calculations include a Munchlax's appetite?" Burnet smiled.

"Oh," Cilan said, pulling out a notepad and pencil out of his apron. "Just a moment."

"How large is a Munchlax's appetite?" Cress asked as Cilan started counting the ingredients before scribbling on the notepad.

"Allow me," Rotom said as it showed a picture. "Munchlax, the big eater Pokémon. Munchlax are known for their extreme appetite, often swallowing food down whole. Its stomach is even strong enough to eat food that has gone rotten."

"Impressive," Chilli said as Rotom showed a video of Burnet's Munchlax eating a mountain of Pokémon food.

"There," Cilan said as he finished writing before tearing off the page. "I believe this should be enough. Ash?"

Taking the page, Ash quickly read over the list.

"Yeah, this should be enough," Ash nodded.

"Great, do you need some money?" Cilan asked.

"No, it's okay," Ash said, placing the list in his pocket. "I've still got some allowance leftover from when I was here last time. But I will need some help bring this stuff back though."

"I can help you, Ash," Mallow said eagerly. "I'd love to see the markets and how they differ from Alola!"

"Mallow, I love you," Ash smiled. "But if I take you to the market, we'll never leave. Besides, I thought you would prefer cooking with Cilan, Chilli and Cress."

"Oh yeah," Mallow blushed. "Sorry, I got excited."

"That's alright, Mallow," Cilan smiled. "If I had it my way, I'd spend all day at the markets."

"Same," Chilli added while Cress nodded.

"Why don't you go with him instead, big brother?" Lillie asked cheerfully. Gladion looked at Ash, who smiled shyly.

"Are you okay with that?" Ash asked.

"Sure, I'll help you," Gladion nodded.

"Then it's settled," Lillie grinned. "You two head to the markets and we'll get started on lunch."

Ash and Gladion nodded before leaving the kitchen.

"Hey, Ash! Wait!" Kukui called just as Ash and Gladion reached the front door.

Ash paused before turning.

"I believe you've forgotten something important," Kukui smiled, holding up Ash's backpack.

"Oh!" Ash blushed, quickly jogging over to Kukui. "Thanks."

"Are you sure you have enough money?" Kukui asked as Ash unzipped one of the pockets. "I can loan you some."

"It's fine, professor," Ash reassured him as he placed his Identity Dex and wallet in his pocket. "I've got plenty."

"Okay," Kukui nodded.

"We should be back in roughly forty-five minutes," Ash promised before walking towards the front door.

"See you later, boys," Kukui waved, watching Ash and Gladion leave before walking back into the kitchen.

"So, as I was waiting for the stew to finish simmering," Mallow was saying. "I pretended to clean the tables so I could keep an eye on them."

"What are you kids talking about?" Kukui asked in amusement.

"Ash and Gladion!" Lillie beamed. "I asked Mallow to watch them last night. So, what happened?"

Kukui rolled his eyes fondly as he sat beside his wife.

"Should I stop this?" he asked.

"They're just talking," Burnet smiled, holding out a peeler. "Help me peel?"

Kukui nodded, smiling as Mallow recalled the way Gladion stroked Ash's face and held his hand.

***

"Thank you," Ash said to the grocer before looking at Gladion. "Is that everything?"

"Let me see," Gladion said, alternating between looking in the bags and looking at the list. "Um, yes, that's everything. But why on earth did we get so much?"

"I have learnt the hard way that if you don't have enough food when around a Munchlax, you'll starve," Ash said, grabbing some of the bags. "Remind me I need to ask Professor Oak to give his recipe for Snorlax Pokéblocks to Professor Burnet."

"I'll try to remember," Gladion smiled, grabbing the final bags. "So how long were you in Unova for?"

"About a year," Ash answered as the two started to make their way back to the gym. "I originally came here for a holiday with my mum and Professor Oak in Nuvema Town. After seeing the different Pokémon and meeting Professor Juniper, I decided to explore Unova, make new friends and participate in the League. Professor Juniper gave me a Pokédex, a bunch of Pokéballs and told me to visit here for my first gym battle. Along the way, I met Iris and Axew, although we didn't really get along at first."

"Really?" Gladion asked in surprise. "You two seem like siblings."

"Oh, we are," Ash nodded. "But when we first met, I thought she was a Pokémon and I threw a Pokéball at her."

Gladion winced.

"Yeah, I would get bothered by that too," he said before hissing.

"Hey, are you okay?" Ash asked.

"The handles are cutting into my fingers," Gladion admitted.

"Oh, um," Ash said, quickly looking around before spying a bench in front of a fountain. "Let's sit over there. Give our hands a break."

Gladion nodded before following Ash to the bench. After putting the bags down, the two boys sat on the bench. Gladion shook his hands, trying to get rid of the ache.

"Here," Ash said, taking Gladion's hands in his. "Let me see."

Carefully turning Gladion's hands over, Ash looked at the red marks on Gladion's fingers and palms. Ash frowned as he started massaging Gladion's right hand, rubbing circles against the marks. Gladion sighed as the aching started to vanish.

"How's that?" Ash asked as he moved onto the left one.

"That's much better," Gladion admitted shyly. "Thank you. Oh, who's that Pokémon?"

"What?"

"It's beside you. It kind of looks like a Litten but it's purple."

Releasing Gladion's hand, Ash looked over his shoulder. Gladion was right. There was a Pokémon sitting beside him; a purple feline Pokémon eating a berry.

"Oh, that's a Purrloin," Ash smiled. "It's a dark type."

"It's very cute," Gladion grinned as the Purrloin jumped down, licking its paws.

"Yeah, they are cute," Ash said, watching it walk away. "But be careful, they can be a little sneaky. Cilan had a bit of a traumatic encounter with one when he was little."

"So that's why he shuddered when it was mentioned earlier," Gladion said thoughtfully. "What happened?"

"It's not really my place to say," Ash admitted.

"Fair enough," Gladion said as he took in the surroundings. "It's nice here, although it is weird not hearing the ocean."

"It is a little," Ash agreed. "But that's what I love about the different regions. Different sights, sounds, smells, Pokémon; it's all so different and wonderful. I love it. Anyway, we should keep going. The gym's not far."

"Sure," Gladion nodded as he stood up. "Just out of curiosity, is there anything you miss about Unova?"

"Miss about Unova?" Ash asked, standing up as well. "Um..."

"Out of the way!" A panicky voice suddenly came out of nowhere. "Out of the way! Out of the way!"

Ash and Gladion turned to see a blonde girl running towards them, waving her arms.

"Out of the way!" the girl cried as she collided into them, pushing them both into the fountain. Gasping and coughing, they sat up dripping wet.

"This I did NOT miss!" Ash yelled angrily before looking at Gladion. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," Gladion said, pushing his wet bangs out of his face. "What was that?"

Ash looked over his shoulder to see the blonde girl standing by the fountain, bowing furiously as she apologised.

"Oh, for Arceus' sake," Ash sighed as he helped Gladion to his feet.

"Thanks," Gladion smiled. "Are you hurt?"

"Just annoyed," Ash sighed before looking at the girl.

"I'm so sorry," the blonde girl apologised. "I'm... Ash?!"

"Hi Bianca," Ash forced a smile as he got out the fountain before helping Gladion out. "Nice to see you haven't changed."

"It's wonderful to see you too," Bianca smiled, completely oblivious to Ash's sarcasm. "Say, you two didn't see an adorable Pokémon wandering around, did you?"

"Are you..." Gladion started to say when Ash covered his mouth.

"That way," Ash pointed.

"Thank you," Bianca said gratefully. "Well, it was lovely to see you again. Bye!"

Ash sighed as Bianca ran off, removing his hand from Gladion's face.

"Why did you do that?" Gladion asked curiously as Ash started to collect the bags.

"With Bianca, the best thing to do is point her in a direction and let her leave," Ash said. "Less headaches that way. Let's just be grateful that these didn't get wrecked. Come on, let's get back to the restaurant before we get sick."

Gladion nodded, grabbing his bags before following Ash back to the gym. As they walked inside, they saw everyone was talking about Z-moves, Z-move poses and what Z-moves Pansage, Panpour and Pansear would be able to use.

"What's going on?" Ash asked as he and Gladion walked over.

"Professor Kukui is... huh?" Cilan stared at the two in shock as they put the bags on a nearby table. Everyone turned as gasped at the sight of Ash and Gladion soaking wet and shivering.

"What on earth happened to you two?" Burnet asked. "Is it raining?"

"No, we just had a run in with Bianca," Ash grumbled.

"Again?" Cilan asked before sighing. "Honestly, that girl needs to start wearing bells or something. She pushed you both into the fountain?"

Ash nodded while Gladion gave Ash a confused look.

"Somehow, I am not surprised," Cilan smiled sympathetically. "Come on, I'll lend you some clothes to wear while I wash yours."

"Thanks, Cilan," Ash smiled gratefully as Gladion's teeth started to chatter.

"Follow me," Cilan said.

After leading the two soaking boys to his bedroom, Cilan started opening his cupboard and drawers.

"Let's see," Cilan said as he pulled out some pants, shirts and boxers. "These clothes should fit you two. Those boxers are brand new and haven't been worn so you two can keep them."

"Thanks, Cilan," Ash said as he and Gladion gratefully took the offered garments.

"Yes, thank you," Gladion said.

"The ensuite is over there," Cilan pointed. "There are towels under the sink. I'll come back in a little while for your wet things."

"Thanks," the boys said again as Cilan walked out, closing the door behind him.

"You take the bathroom first," Ash said, throwing his loaned clothes on the bed.

"Are you sure?" Gladion asked.

"Yeah," Ash nodded. "Just let me get a towel first. My clothes are starting to stick."

Gladion nodded before the two walked into the ensuite. Opening the doors under the sink, Ash quickly grabbed a towel before walking out. After hearing Gladion close the door, Ash quickly striped off, drying himself before wrapping the towel around his body. Ash sighed as he sat on the bed, waiting for warmth to return to his skin. After a few minutes, Ash heard the ensuite door opened. He looked up to see Gladion in the doorway, holding his wet clothes and towel in one hand. Ash blinked. Gladion was shirtless and the pants Cilan had loaned were sitting low on his hips. Ash could see every line, every muscle on Gladion's torso. Ash swallowed, feeling his stomach flutter and his cheeks burn.

Arceus, he's gorgeous! Ash thought.

"Ash?" Gladion asked.

"Huh?" Ash asked, snapping out of his daze.

"The bathroom's free," Gladion said as he walked over.

"Oh thanks," Ash said, quickly getting up and walking into the ensuite. After closing the door, Ash took a few deep breaths to calm down.

Good grief. He thought, dropping the towel and turning on the water. He yelped as the hot water splashed against his wrist.

"You okay?" Gladion called.

"Fine!" Ash answered, adjusting the temperature slightly before getting in.