han jisung: the backstory

Profiles (1,380,051 files) 

[ Profile: Han Jisung ]

➤ Basic Information 
     | Age: 20
     | Birthday: September 14th, 2000
     | Assigned Color: Red
     | Generation: Third Wave
     | Children: One (Deceased)

➤ Games Won: 0

The bunker was pitch black. People shuffled quietly in the desolate room, but were unseen. Jisung spent three years in the Bunker, from the day he turned thirteen until the day his daughter was born. The bunker was located in the ship’s belly, in a small air compartment under the storage crates. It was dangerous to hide your child from the games, deadly even, but the contaminated air and starvation found in the bunker were far more dangerous. His parents dropped him into the hole with a kiss on his forehead and a promised chance at life the day of his thirteenth birthday. That was the last time he saw them. Jisung knew of three other children in the bunker, and they were all thirteen, like he was. Jeongin, Seungmin, Himself, and Yeji. Jeongin and Seungmin barely spoke to anyone but each other, save for the occasional request for food or warmth. Jeongin in particular, loved to fall asleep curled under Jisung’s twiggy arms. Yeji was beautiful, from what Jisung could feel. She had sharp almond eyes, and a perfectly sloped nose that led to a plump bottom lip. She told Jisung her hair was brown, and her skin matched the color of browned peaches. Jisung believed her. 

Yeji was his first love, although he didn’t know what love was at the time. They spent hours talking and laughing into the palms of their hands so the players couldn’t hear their happiness. They huddled together in the farthest corner of the bunker when the games began and the blood dripped through the cracks into their sanctuary. Yeji kissed him for the first time on his fourteenth birthday. They had clumsy, awkward, teenage sex on his fifteenth birthday, and Han Yuhae was born on June 26th. They were stupid, young, and in love, but they knew better than to raise a child in a metal bunker that reeked of death. Yuhae deserved the world, and Jisung would give it to her at any cost. They devised a risky plan, one that Jisung inveighed against strongly. He would take their daughter and climb to the surface during Replenishment Time, and leave Yeji behind. She wasn’t strong enough, she said, and Jisung could hear the exhaustion in her voice, the coolness of her cheeks. Seungmin and Jeongin asked to join him, and he agreed. 

Replenishment Time was announced over the speakers, and Yeji handed Yuhae to her father with a kiss that said goodbye in every language. The three boys and one baby girl opened the hatch, and Jisung found that Yeji’s skin was the color of ash, not peaches. Her hair was bordering dirty-blonde from years in the dark, and her eyes were hazy. She was not the girl he fell in love with, not anymore. Jeongin and Seungmin slipped into the corridor, and Jisng followed, shutting the hatch behind them. Jeongin and Seungmin found their parents' compartments, and offered to let him stay. Mrs. Kim fussed over the thin state of his babygirl, and took her from Jisung’s shaking arms. The yellow-ish light from the fluorescent lights was overwhelming, and the pounding in his head forced him to sit down. Yuhae wailed in the background, but all Jisung could feel was his brain smashing against his skull. One week at the Kims turned into a year, and Yuhae was waddling around the room, slamming her little fists on the walls. They found Yeji’s deteriorating body in the hatch a month after the three boys escaped, and Jisung clung tighter to his daughter. 

Yuhae grew beautifully, with the same dark hair her mother once had. Her eyes were as dark as mahogany, and shaped like Yeji’s. That was how Jisung came to know Hyunjin, Yeji’s twin-like cousin. He recognized Yuhae’s eyes when the father-daughter duo were eating in the cafeteria, and approached them with a sob that silenced the room. Jisung’s first instinct was to pull Yuhae into his side as the creepy crying man approached, wearily eyeing the exit. But then Hyunjin stared at him with his almond eyes, and Jisung understood. Hyunjin adored Yuhae with every bone in his slender body, but his distaste towards Jisung limited him from seeing her. Jisung escaped the bunker, yes, but it was Yeji’s idea, and he refused to take the blame for her death. 

That was two years ago. Now, Jisung stood at the ejection site, watching his daughter’s pale little body be pushed into the cosmos. She would shine like the stars, Jeongin said, but his consultation fell on deaf ears. Yuhae was sick. It wasn’t Jisung’s fault, but guilt tore at his heart like a roaring chainsaw. When Hyunjin punched him, he didn’t retaliate, just laid on the metal floor and cried until the tears bled into his lungs. The Captain came to him after the last of the guests left the room, and informed Jisung of his participation in the games. His parents lives, Yeji’s life, all wasted. The Captain assigned him the color Red, and promised to deliver his suit to the Kim’s room. Sure enough, when Replenishment ended, a red suit was hanging on the hook in his closet, next to Jeongin’s pink one, and Seungmin’s purple one. 

Jisung knew nothing about what Seungmin and Jeongin called Among Us. He didn’t know how to fix wires, or swipe cards, he hardly knew how to keep another human being alive, nevermind himself. Seungmin and Jeongin prepared him the best they could before Friday, explaining tasks and how to be the Impostor. It made Jisung’s stomach churn, and he finally understood why a parent would abandon their child in the bunker. While the trio ate in the cafeteria, Seungmin pointed out the most ruthless of Impostors, and who was the sneakiest. Lee Minho fell into both categories. Seungmin and Jeongin never played with him as an Impostor (thank fucking god, Seungmin said), but everyone who went into a game with Lee Minho didn’t come out. He was an efficient crewmate that finished his tasks first, and a silent hunter. No one saw him coming until they had a knife through their throat, and he disappeared as quietly. He was careful with his kills, knew just where to stab to avoid becoming soaked in blood and revealing his identity. The elders said he would have been a wonderful nurse on Earth. But this wasn’t Earth, and no one helped the hurt on the Beyond. 

Jisung tried on his suit, the red complementing the dark hue of his hair. It hung from his scrawny bones comically, and he wondered if they had a seamstress on the ship, like he would live to have his suit taken in. Friday was only two days away, and he had no hope of surviving to see the twinkling stars on Saturday. Tomorrow morning, he would suit up and be thrown into a room of strangers that were fighting to survive. Among Us wasn’t a game. Games were fun. People didn’t die playing games. Among Us was a way of survival, and if a knife wasn’t in your hand, it was in your back. Jisung would fight for his life, like Yeji and his parents did for him. He owed them that much. He put his suit back on it’s flimsy hanger, and held Yuhae’s onesie to his chest. 

For Friday, he promised to do one thing, avoid Lee Minho at all costs.