hwang hyunjin: task two

Profiles (1,380,051 files) 

   [ Profile: Hwang Hyunjin ]

    ➤ Basic Information 
         | Age: 20
         | Birthday: March 20th, 2000
         | Assigned Color: White 
         | Generation: Third Wave
         | Children: None 

     ➤ Games Won: 342
         | Game 343 in Progress... 7:12

Hyunjin checked the cams, closed the cams, checked them again, closed them again. Felix struggled with calibrating, sure, most of them did, but it never took him two minutes to finish a task. No reported bodies was the only thing keeping Hyunjin in Security, waiting for a boy he didn’t know was dead in Electrical. 

He continued his rhythmic switching between on cams and off cams until he heard footsteps from the Southern Hallway (for reference, they’re playing the Skeld). Seven years, Hyunjin played this game, and he knew the blueprint better than his own face. Where the ship lacked in mirrors, it made up for in game maps. At least three were plastered on each hallway, and Hyunjin had a large one hanging above his bed. The footsteps slowed outside the doorway to Security, and Hyunjin leaned back to get a glimpse of the player attached to the obnoxious purple suit. 

Kim Seungmin, of course. The Beyond was small enough for everyone to know each other but big enough to allow for personal space and relationships. Hyunjin knew of Seungmin, best friends with Jeongin and one of the best singers on the ship. They lived on the same poster-covered hallway, and sometimes when Hyunjin snuck to visit Felix, he heard Seungmin singing. He had the voice and face of an angel, and his eyes bore into Hyunjin’s, wide as cafeteria trays and filled with surprise. Seungmin paused his wiring and prepared to escape. He had one foot planted behind him, ready to run for his life, and was halfway back into the hallway before Hyunjin called out to him. 

“Seungmin! Wait!” 

Seungmin looked horrified, but he stayed, warily glancing around the deserted hallway. 

“Have you seen Yellow anywhere? He was supposed to meet me here.”

Seungmin shook his head, a simple no. No, he hadn’t seen Felix, and his best friend would probably never be seen alive again.  Hyunjin checked the timer embedded in his tablet. 8 minutes and 45 seconds. Something was wrong, and it made his anxiety skyrocket. He unceremoniously shoved past Seungmin and rushed down the Southern hallway. He heard Seungmin’s hesitant footfalls behind him, but they faded beneath the roaring of the lower engine. Seungmin caught up to him at the entrance to electrical, and already he could smell the iron permeating the room. He plugged his nose and rushed into Electrical, but even that couldn’t stop the stench of death from invading his nostrils. The smell clung to every fiber of his being, and he would have run back into the hallway and threw up his food if Seungmin wasn’t behind him, guiding Hyunjin with a gentle hand on his back.  

They turned the corner, and Hyunjin finally let his breakfast go. Felix managed to take his breath away even when he was lying in a pool of his blood. Hyunjin wanted to scream, cry, anything to annunciate the pain he was feeling, but he could only produce a weak gasp before collapsing by his cousin's side. 

Seungmin cursed, and Hyunjin heard someone slam into the electrical box with a dull metallic thump. “Jeongin, what did you do?” Seungmin hissed and slammed the boy against the wall again. “Fucking tell me, Jeongin! What did you do?” 

Jeongin whimpered against Seungmin’s hold, clawing at the hands around his neck. Something, an object, clattered to the ground, and Hyunjin scrambled to grab it before Jeongin could reclaim it. It was a knife, about 12 inches in length, with a blade that looked sharp enough to cut steel like butter. Only Impostors received knives, and Hyunjin’s hands shook around the hilt, wanting to plunge it straight into the kid’s heart.