The letter

"Paul! Paul get up!"
Paul groaned at the sound of his brother yelling at him from the bottom of the stairs.
"Paaaaauuullll! There's a letter for you!"
On the count of three, he leapt up out of bed and threw on a jumper before heading downstairs. On the kitchen table there was the letter Mike had excitedly been shouting about- neither of the boys ever got mail.
"Open it! Pleaaaseeee Paulie!"
Paul laughed and ruffled the younger boys hair fondly.
"I'll go and get dad then. It looks like this could be important, eh?"
On the inside, Paul's stomach was doing flips. Why had he gotten a letter? Was it good or bad news? Was he in trouble? Had he done something wrong? What if-
"Right then, what's all this about a letter?"
Paul's dad halted his spiral of questions in his mind.
"'M not sure. I just wanted to open it with you is all", he managed to reply without sounding too flustered. His dad made a grunt of approval as Paul opened the letter as calmly as he could.
The moment he saw it his heart dropped. He knew exactly what this was about. His marriage.

But it was impossible! Paul was only 16! He had another two years to go. He couldn't hide his panic anymore.
"What is it then? What's got you all flustered?"
His dad asked. Paul simply handed over the letter with shaking hands.
"Paulie?" Mike was looking up at him with worried eyes.
"It can't- I can't- How will you be able to look after Mike w-with me gone and- and how- I'm only 16!" Paul sobbed. His dad sighed and patted his back in an uncharacteristic display of affection. "It's uncommon but not unheard of. Me and Mike will manage."
Paul couldn't believe it. This was some sick joke. There was a chance he wouldn't be able to finish school and be stuck in a kitchen with a stranger for the rest of his days. All he could do is sob.

"John! Up you pathetic git! The letters arrived." Mimi grouched from behind John's door. Ugh. The letter.
Ever since he'd turned 18 five months ago, he'd been dreading its arrival. The summon to come and get paired with a stranger and spend the rest of your life together.  He thought it would've arrived sooner- after school maybe. But as he jumped from one dead end job to another, nothing came. He thought he'd dodged a bullet. Obviously not.
Recently though, he'd begun to hope more and more for the letter. Mimi refused to let him leave until he was married- and legally he couldn't until he was. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, he told himself. No one could be worse than her, right?

"Well? When do you need to go and get paired then?" his aunt snapped.
John inwardly rolled his eyes.
"Oh don't fret, Mimi dearest. You'll be rid of me soon." John crooned in an over the top mocking impression of her.
"Yes. And then another poor soul will have to put up with you and your druggie friends. I pity them." All John could think to do was make a stupid face as he ran out of the door.

"Eh! John! Got the letter then?" John's friend Stu asked, a cigarette hanging from his lips as John turned the corner to greet him.
"Yup. Fuck me mate. It's happening."
"Been there done that," Stu laughed and slapped his back, "got any clue who the poor sod is?". John shook his head.
"'M gonna go out and get shitfaced- one last night of freedom and all that- you coming?"
Stu nodded enthusiastically and the pair stroller to meet more mates.
Maybe Mimi was right though, John thought to himself. What if he was just a pathetic druggie with no potential? He'd pity the person who'd marry him too. Oh, well. If they didn't like it they could sod off.

***********************************
*peeks out from behind hands* Do you like it? it's a bit shit bit hopefully i'll get better. i know it also sounds a bit weird with "getting paired" but i literally didn't know how else to put it.
i hope your having a great week <3