No More Doubts?

Pat opened her eyes and stretched, it was dark in the room so she reached over to get her phone to check the time. 3 am, nowhere near time to get up but she did need the bathroom.
She looked over at Paul, he was sound asleep. She put her hand gently on his forehead and was relieved his temperature felt pretty normal.  She slipped quietly out of bed.

She crawled back into bed, pulling the blankets up.
Hey, Paul said, more asleep than awake.
Go back to sleep, it's way too early. She said, draping her arm over him.
Ya, he mumbled, closing his eyes.

She lay awake for awhile watching him sleep. She couldn't understand how someone could mess with him so badly. She eventually closed her eyes.
She woke with a start, someone was knocking loudly on the door. Paul was still sleeping. She got up quickly, grabbing her robe.

Coming, Jesus. She opened the door. It was Doc.
Hey, sorry if I woke you, just checking up on Paul. He said.
That's okay, I think he'll be okay. Tylenol seemed to work. There's no show tonight? I can't keep this schedule straight. She asked, shaking her head.

Nope, it's an off day. Then there's 3 nights in a row then we're off for a few weeks. He explained, checking his phone.

So, I'll try to keep him quiet today, maybe I should go hang out with Gene and let him sleep. Pity Shannon's not around. She said quietly.

Okay, something's wrong here, Doc said, you two okay?
Ya, we're fine, she replied, smiling.
Well, okay, you know if you ever need to talk, I'm a pretty good listener. He explained. Well, I'll let you go. He gave her a quick hug and left.

She looked at the time, still early, only 8. She went and sat on the bed and checked her phone for messages. One from her sister just checking in. She messaged back that she would give her a call later.

She decided to lay back down for a bit. Morning, she said, quietly as Paul slowly opened his eyes.

Morning, who was at the door? he asked. He stretched and gave a small groan.

Doc, and you okay? She asked, concerned.

Just stiff and a bit sore. He said, stretching a bit more carefully.
Well, you pretty much have orders to take it easy today. Your fever seems to be gone. She said, feeling his forehead
I didn't mean to upset you last night.
He said, taking her hand.

I know that, she said, did anyone ever tell you you have the most beautiful eyes?
You, a few times. He said, smiling. He kissed her hand. She felt him trace small circles on her palm with his tongue.

She looked at him, watching his eyes darken.  Damn, she whispered, you do it to me everytime!

You know what I love? He asked, resting his hand on her stomach, watching you come, feeling you come.
Well I wouldn't stop you from
something you love, she said, but what am I going to do with you? Before you get too carried away I'm getting up. You stay for a bit, you have orders to rest.

She got up, ignoring the sad face Paul was making.
You're mean! He said, faking a pout.
And you're getting spoiled, she scolded, getting fresh clothes out of her suitcase.

She took her clothes into the bathroom to shower and get dressed.
She finished getting dressed. She went back into the room and saw that Paul had fallen asleep again. Stubborn, she said to herself.

She decided to go down to the restaurant to have breakfast but wanted some company and figured Gene would do. She sent him a quick text and he replied immediately. Already at restaurant, sure join me.

She left the room quietly and headed downstairs to the restaurant. The hostess came over to seat her.
That's okay, I'm with him, she said pointing at Gene.