Chapter 37 iLost Him

After five hours of waiting, four packages of Peeps, three desperate texts to Nicky, two pitying looks from her brother and one giant stomachache, Keeley was ready for bed. She said goodnight and headed upstairs, her spirit dragging behind her.

Walking into her bedroom, she turned up the volume on her phone—just in case he called and she was in the bathroom—and set it on her bed. Tucker jumped up and sniffed it. He flinched slightly, like he smelled sour milk, and then pawed at the screen till it flipped over.

"Tucker," she scolded, snatching the phone and placing it on her desk face down. Barking, he bounded off the bed and rushed over. He attempted to reach it, his front paws scratching against the wood as he stood on his hind legs, but he wasn't tall enough. After one last bark, he dropped to all fours and cocked his head.

"Don't give me that look."

When he continued to stare at her with those big imploring eyes, she rushed to add, "It's nothing personal. I just can't take the chance."

He made a low sound in the back of his throat that sounded an awful lot like disagreement.

"It's not!" she argued. "You'll always be my number one guy, but he's important to me too. I'm expecting a crucial text from him that could make or break my day and I can't have you ruining that. You understand, right?"

His pleading gaze continued to bore into her. Finally, she couldn't take it anymore. Slapping a hand over her eyes, she said, "Listen buddy, just because I feed you and walk you doesn't mean you're the boss of me. I am not some feeble-minded servant who bows down and does your bidding. In fact, you should be the one bowing down and kissing my feet because let's be honest here...without me, you wouldn't be in such great shape." Hearing a small sound, she raised her other hand in protest. "Deny it all you want, but I know how much you enjoy being fawned over by all those pretty girls at the dog park. I see you prancing around with your ears perked and your tail held high."

Not hearing anything, she spread her fingers and peeked out. Tucker was sitting precariously on her desk chair with his butt hanging out off the edge and his neck straining as he attempted to get the phone.

"Tucker," she cried, rushing over to help him before he fell off. "What has gotten into you?" As she set him down, she noticed a faint glow reflecting off the desk surrounding her phone. Frowning, she went to grab it when she heard a distant, but familiar voice.  

"Heellloooo....? Anyone there? I want to hear more about this dog park. Are we talking real girls or dogs?"

Horrified, she grabbed the phone and answered, "Talon?"

"Glad to know I'm not easily forgettable. Although with Tucker being such a stud, maybe I am."

"I'm so sorry. I didn't realize you were there."

"That was abundantly clear."

A slow realization dawned. "How long were you listening? Did you hear...?"

"That you have a propensity to ramble to your number one guy who also happens to be a dog? Yes. I heard. Every word."

Mortified, she slid to the ground. Quickly, she pieced together how it happened. Instead of turning up the volume, she must have silenced it and when she moved it to the desk, her finger accidently accepted the call. No wonder Tucker was barking. He must have heard Talon's voice.

"You do know he's a dog, right?"

"What?" she asked absently. Her mind was too busy recalling everything she said in the ten minutes. Her head dropped to her knees when she remembered her "crucial text" remark. Tucker wandered over and nudged her arm with his nose. Lifting her head, she glared at him. "This is your fault. Why didn't you tell me?" she hissed, putting an arm around the Labrador. He licked her ear and she said, "Alright, I forgive you. You know I can't stay mad at you for long."