00. Prologue

PROLOGUE:Girl Lestrange

PROLOGUE:
Girl Lestrange

CALLISTO LESTRANGE GREW UP WITH ONLY STORIES OF HER PARENTS. Nothing more was expected as Bellatrix and Rodolphus Lestrange had been rotting away in Azkaban since the girl was three years old — she assumed that would never change. There wasn't a witch or wizard who didn't know of her parents, they may have been the most ruthless and heartless the wizarding world had ever seen, but even so, Callisto held nothing against them, nothing at all.

Narcissa and Lucius Malfoy raised the Lestrange in the absence of her own parents. Callisto was grateful for that, knowing that they had no choice but to take her in — they would never have sent her to estranged Aunt Andromeda. She knew that her parents would have raised her in a similar way to the Malfoys, indoctrinating her to believe that all that were either blood traiters, half-bloods, or mudbloods were a disgrace to the wizarding world and that Callisto was one of the elite. Even still, the Lestrange had a suspicion that she would have been raised with more brutality if her parents were around.

The girl was the product of the two most pure-blooded families — the Blacks and the Lestranges. There wasn't a single drop of non-magical blood in her entire body, and nothing could change that. Callisto had become quite aloof over the years, not ever getting into deep conversations wiht her family regarding those with dirty blood. Lucius originally thought this was an act of rebellion from the Lestrange, but Callisto explained that she had nothing to say on the matter due to their irrelevance. Truthfully, Callisto didn't know what to think.

The Malfoys had always been loyal to the Dark Lord, that was no secret. Callisto often wondered how they avoided being whisked away to Azkaban while her parents were thrown in withouth hesitation. It wasn't that she wished badly on the Malfoys, nor did she wish that her parents were free, but she was slightly jealous of her younger cousin. Draco had parents, and despite their cruelty and malevolence, it was something the Lestrange didn't have — and probably never would. 

The Lestrange and Malfoy heirs had a somewhat unusual relationship, but that was not surprising given the circumstances. They were certainly not considered close, nor did they particularly despise each other, they simply left the other alone. The two had occasionally practiced Quidditch together, but only because they both aspired to play for the Slytherin Quidditch Team someday. That's the way it had always been.

Callisto, being nearly two full years older than Draco, was the first to receive her Hogwarts acceptance letter. Although it wasn't Draco that was going, Callisto knew that he was excited and extremely jealous, and allowed him to open the letter for her. The envelope was yellowish and adorned with green ink, spelling out Callisto's name and address, on the back was a purple seal with the Hogwarts crest. Callisto couldn't help the smile that spread across her pale lips as her nine-year-old cousin carefully opened her letter and read the contents of it.