03. Familiarity

CHAPTER THREE:Familiarity

CHAPTER THREE:
Familiarity

EVER SINCE CALLISTO WAS A LITTLE GIRL, SHE HAD ALWAYS BEEN COMPLETELY FASCINATED WITH ASTRONOMY. Given that she and most of her family were named after either stars, constellations, or even galaxies, it was no surprise that she had been eager to learn all about them all. The stars were quite possibly Callisto's favourite thing ever. She loved watching them as they twinkled brightly in the night sky and she was now expert at finding all the constellations, so it was not at all surprising that Astronomy had always been one of her strongest subjects.

Callisto was nothing less than thrilled to have Estella in her class as Adrian, Marcus, and Terence all had differing timetables which meant that they only had a few classes together, and Astronomy was not one of them.

The two girls had been on their way to the only Astronomy lesson of the week that was during the day when they ran into Professor Lupin. Callisto guessed that he couldn't have been more than thirty-five years of age, but the scars that adorned his face along with the dark circles underneath his eyes made the man look much older.

"Hello, Miss Warrington," he said politely, Estella stopped walking to speak to him.

"Hi, Professor Lupin," Estella greeted with a smile while Callisto sent him a tight-lipped smile and a nod as her greeting.

"And you must be..." the professor started but trailed off, his eyes widening and skin paling when he looked at the girl. He looked as if he had seen a ghost.

"Callisto Lestrange," she supplied for the professor who was still looking at her, however, once she had spoken, he shook his head as he awoke from his stupor.

"I'm terribly sorry, it's just that you look almost exactly like an old friend of mine," Professor Lupin said almost breathlessly. "If you'll excuse me," he said before putting on a smile that Callisto could tell was fake and walking away from the two.

Callisto and Estella shared a confused look before continuing to their Astronomy class. They walked in silence, neither of them were sure what to make of Professor Lupin's strange reaction to seeing Callisto. Once they had made it to the classroom, they each took a seat towards the middle of the room so that they could chat a little more freely.

"Perhaps he knew your mother? Many say that you look like her," Estella suggested but Callisto immediately shook her head.

"He could have known her, but I know for certain that my mother wouldn't befriend someone that would end up teaching Defence Against the Dark Arts," Callisto said with a frown, and Estella nodded in agreement.