𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞. 𝑎 𝑠𝑒𝑐𝑜𝑛𝑑 𝑟𝑒𝑡𝑢𝑟𝑛

𝐕𝐀𝐋𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄 𝐈𝐌𝐌𝐄𝐃𝐈𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐋𝐘 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐃 to the kitchen after changing into a new uniform (it was the only thing that she had in her closet).

She raided the fridge, grabbing as much food as she could while telling herself that she'd just restock it later for everyone else. She had been deprived of food for twelve years, after all, so she was sure they'd be more than understanding.

She could feel her energy begin to flow through her as she scarfed down food, her stomach thanking her endlessly. If there was something she had missed more than her family, it was most definitely food.

She finished her food, but she was missing something. And then she realized. 

With a soft smile, she grabbed the peanut butter jar and closed the fridge door before putting it on the counter. She stepped onto the stool, wincing as she extended her arm and grabbed the mini marshmallows from on top of the cabinet, and stepped back down.

Pulling the bag of bread towards her with one hand, she used the other to grab a cutting board, and, quickly, she set to work.

She opened the bag and pulled out two slices of bread, and carefully placed them on the board. She then twisted the lid off the jar and grasped a knife before scooping some out and spreading it onto one of the slices.

Once she had put the lid back on, she opened the bag of mini marshmallows and grabbed a handful of them before gently plopping them on top of the peanut butter. She then pressed the other slice of bread on top, squishing it down slightly to make sure the marshmallows would stay.

After using the knife to slice it in two, she quickly put everything back where it belonged—except for the knife, of course, that went in the sink.

Valerie grabbed the cutting board and put it on the table, figuring that there was no point in using a plate.

She sat down, and as she took her first bite, she closed her eyes and leaned back, warmth spreading over her; this was the taste she missed most. It reminded her of home. Of Five.

As one hand clutched the sandwich, her other hand traced along the countertop. Her fingers roamed little grooves, and she couldn't find any more delight in the ability to feel again. 

"Whoa, slow down there, Speed Demon," Diego chuckled as he sat across from her on the island. "You'll give yourself a stomach ache."

"Worth it," she said through a mouthful of sandwich, though her words were a bit muffled. 

He smiled as he watched her move on to a box of granola bars, and softly murmured, "I missed you, kid."

"Kid?" Valerie repeated incredulously as she raised her eyebrows and unwrapped a bar. "It may not look like it, but we are still the same age, my friend."

"Nah, you're still a kid to me." Diego grinned as he reached over and ruffled her hair, receiving a glare in return. "So, how's life? Got a boyfriend?"

"You know" —she swallowed her bite of the granola bar— "it seems as though you don't know what the word 'void' means. Do you need me to pull out a dictionary for you?"

"No, I don't need—"

She sped away to the living room and came back a second later, a dictionary in her hands. She swiftly flipped through the pages until she found the word 'void' and read aloud, "'Void. Noun. Meaning: An empty space; emptiness.'" She looked up at Diego and raised her eyebrows. "Understand? No boys in empty spaces. Just Valerie."

"Ah, shut up." He scoffed, rolling his eyes in amusement. "I'm kidding. I know you'd never date anyone other than Five."

Out of everyone in the family, Diego was the only person who knew about her crush on Five. Or at least, the one she had on him twelve years ago; it was difficult to have a crush on someone who was lost in time.