𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨. 𝑎𝑙𝑜𝑛𝑔𝑠𝑖𝑑𝑒

Word count: 1793

"𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐘 told me what you did during all those years when you were in the future." Valerie pointed out with raised eyebrows. Her hands clasped around the mug full of decaf coffee, and the warmth seeped through. "Everything I know is just about the apocalypse."

Five, who was sitting beside her at the bar table that faced the window of the coffee shop, blinked quickly. "Uh . . ."

"C'mon Five, I already know it was all murder," she chuckled lightly as she stared out of the window at the passing people. "No need to hide it."

"You sure you won't get mad?" Five questioned tentatively, his eyes narrowed at her as her face broke out into a reassuring grin.

"I'll try my best."

Five took a long sip of his coffee and heaved a sigh before starting, "Well, the first eight or nine years wasn't much. Just me and Delores travelling the world, hanging onto whatever food or drink we could scavenge. That's when I started drinking a lot more alcohol."

"Yeah, hey, I've been meaning to ask about Delores, actually. She . . . How . . . How did you guys . . ." She struggled to put her thoughts into words, not wanting to say anything rude. It was a mannequin, but she didn't want to hurt Five's feelings. "What was it like?"

"We had some good times. But I don't know, it wasn't the same as . . ." He trailed off, his lips forming a small frown as he got lost in his thoughts.

"As what?" Valerie raised an eyebrow before taking a sip of her coffee.

Five was silent for a moment before quietly admitting, "As being with you." 

Valerie's cheeks suddenly warm, and she took another deep sip of her coffee. 

"Delores was great," he continued with a sigh; "she filled as company for me in those many years, but . . . getting back to you is what got me through everything. Also, stopping the apocalypse."

"Yeah, I'd say the second thing is pretty important too," she giggled, her right hand separating from the mug and unconsciously playing with the piano pendant of her necklace.

A small smile spread onto Five's face as he took notice of her action. "You still have that?"

She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion before following his gaze and looking down at the glittering pendant that was being twirled between her fingers. "Of course. I haven't taken it off."

"Huh." His smile only grew bigger as his gaze remained on the pendant.

"What," she giggled, "you thought I would've thrown it away or something?" 

"I don't know" —he shrugged— "it's just been so many years."

"Well, I did spend twelve years in absolutely nothing. This necklace is what reminded me of home." She gave a small smile as she looked back down at it. She looked back up at him, a stern expression on her face as she reprimanded, "I still don't like the way you got it though."

"What? I got it in a totally legal, good citizen way," Five insisted as he feigned innocence, giving her a sweet smile that covered his lie.

She shook her head, an amused smile on her face as she pointed out, "You could have at least stolen money from Dad or something. And that's already bad in itself."

"Ah, next time," Five said and waved a dismissive hand in the air. "Anyway, do you think that Hazel—"

"—is banging that waitress, Agnes, from Griddy's Doughnuts?" Valerie giggled. "Yes, definitely."