41: Reflection

[feedback, critique, and comments welcome; please point out any typos]

Atlas groans into my hair. "I wish I didn't have to leave you."

My arms squeeze him. "You'll only be gone three days," I say, more to reassure myself than him.

He pulls back, lips slightly puckered. "Are you sure you'll be alright? You can come with me if you'd like."

While being alone in this vast castle without Atlas worries me, given the recent events, the idea of attending a council of royal vampyrs both scares and bores me. To be the only Mark among royalty—nobles who will decide the fate of Duchess Rowad Jin and Prince Laizef—watching as they debate charges of treason, does not appeal to me.

Besides, the threat is leaving. Rowad Jin had been the one to fire the arrow at me—she was Aurulus's only other pupil—and had conducted Prince Laizef's actions. Once she and the Prince were incarcerated, her supposed allies either stepped forward or changed alliances. Any looming threats will leave with her. At least, for now.

And Atlas is escorting them to the high council himself.

Not to mention the Siervs and guards are here to protect me. Knowing my fellow Bloodmarks stand beside me no matter what offers both comfort and confidence.

"I'll be fine."

"Okay." He kisses my forehead and gazes fondly at my right eye. I'm slightly self-conscious at the attention, astonished that someone could find my bloodmark a thing of beauty. But I look back unflinchingly, hoping he sees my feelings for him in my expression.

With a final embrace, Atlas mounts his steed, and with several guards atop horses and a barred carriage, they trot down the hill and vanish into the distance.

For a while, I stand there. Trichov shines white, gold-tipped spires reflecting the moonlight. A breeze encourages me to hug my shawl closer about me.

To think that just yesterday, Atlas and I had been chained beneath the castle because of an impatient coup leader. To think—I had little do to with it. The coup would have happened eventually. It happened sooner because I'd upset the Duchess's plans. Yet, it had been Atlas's policies and compassion that had inspired the scheme in the first place. Atlas, Felice, and I had merely been pawns in her game.

Inside the castle, in the infirmary ward, I settle beside Felice's bed. Bandages cover her arms and her neck. Despite the injuries and exhaustion, her beauty remains ethereal.

When she awakes, she casts me a lazy grin. Ever the nonchalant. "Hey, pidg."

"Felice," I say breathlessly. "Are you okay?"

"I've been better," she grunts. A brief laugh tumbles from her lips. "How're you?"

"Rattled," I say with a shrug.