Chapter Five

Misfortunes continued.

Rumors exploded like wildfire that the serial killer was on his fifth victim. Muddled videos of passersby setting fire to political caricatures plagued local news. Nana would sit in front of our television, knitting away at a sweater while News 8 looped clips for its hungry audience.

"Hey, did you hear?" Bella said one morning on our way to school. "Apparently the latest victim is a student in school. All the parents are losing their shits. They don't know if it's safe for us to even be in school."

I understood the outrage. It was the kind of thing my parents would lose their shit over. I don't know why but it reminded me of a silly memory of Mama and I, from when I was sixteen. Unlawful searches are a violation of your constitutional rights, Mama would say, her voice mischievous with a hint of seriousness. Here's a pocket constitution if you ever see your rights being taken advantage of, baby.

"Mom!" I groaned, looking away. I was almost late for my date with Harrison Cooper, my first date and every other teenage girl's dream. "Harry's got better things to do than violate my constitutional rights."

"You never know when you'll need it," she said, winking at me. "Your father has taught me that boys can be vicious, as a matter of fact."

"I'm not carrying that around with me!"

"Narnie!"

"Mom," I groaned, plopping myself on the couch. I pulled my socks from aside, hastily sliding into them.

She pressed her lips together in disapproval. "So you won't take it?"

I shook my head, rushing to Mama's side and dropping a kiss on her cheek. "Keep your phone close. I'll call you if I need to take a case to the Supreme Court, okay?"

"Narnie," Bella groaned, snapping me out of my memory. "I heard they're already calling in suspects. They can literally call in anyone."

"What are you so worried about?"

"I don't know."

"Well, since you literally have no connection to the crime—" Bella's eyes shifted. "—unless," I continued. "You do?"

"It's just, Micah's sensitive about the whole thing. It makes me wonder if that's the reason he came back here. And if that's the case, maybe we'll be the next victims."

"I don't think we need to worry, Bella."

"Maybe we don't. But it doesn't change the fact that I'm still worried. And Anderson keeps looking at me in class. He never does that. He's been really good at staying cruel since we called it quits. So what does it mean that he's suddenly giving me attention?"

"Have you tried talking to him?"

"No."

"I can't tell you what's on his mind, babe."

"I know. I just—sometimes I wonder if I still have feelings for him."

I felt my eyes widen. "You're into Anderson? Anderson Flemming?"

"I know, I know. It's just—"

"You can do so much better, Bella."

"I know—"

"Do you?"

"Ugh, Narnie. You're so annoying. Stop with the commentary and focus on driving."

I brought my eyes back to the road. "Okay, okay, continue."

"Before his girlfriend, Sienna, went missing," Bella began. "Back when we were still on speaking terms. Back when we were friends. I thought we had something special."