Part seven: Vroom

Nov 7th, 2038

"You got a ride, Y/N?"

I shook my head, "I took the train; gotta get my money's worth from those tickets."

"Well, if you like" Hank motioned to his car, "why don't ya join me for lunch?"

Connor looked between the two of us.

"And this piece 'o plastic," the litendent turned to Connor, "I assume you're comin'?" He sounded annoyed.

Connor just nodded. Hank turned back to me.

"I've got nothing better to do."

"Then it's settled."

I slipped into the middle of the backseat while Hank and Connor took their places at the front. Hank looked to Connor, then peered back at me.

"No, no!" He sighed, "Y/N sits in the front. 'Cause she's human."

"No," I held Connor's shoulder so he wouldn't move, "I'm in the back and that's where I'm staying."

Hank grumbled but didn't say anything. The drive was silent most of the way. Occasionally, Connor would attempt small talk of some sort. When the android tried to talk to Hank, he was ignored. So instead, he talked to me.

"I've noticed you touch my shoulder a lot, is there a reason?"

I looked at him, puzzled. I'd never really thought about that, I just didn't know where else to touch him. "No," I smiled awkwardly, "but I'll stop if you want. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable."

"I don't find you uncomfortable..." he positioned his head to look back at me, "can I ask you a personal question, detective?"

Who the hell asks someone if they can ask a personal question? Regardless, I was kinda curious, "shoot."

"You looked upset when you were on a call earlier today," his brown eyes seemed to soften in the dim light. It wasn't too late but it was already getting dark which threw me off, "why were you frustrated?"

I turned my head to the window. The city lights danced on the damp road. It had rained earlier today. I love rain when I'm inside. Not when I'm outside, chasing an android who's chasing a deviant.

I looked back to Connor, almost forgetting his question, "Something didn't go as planned for me. Right then what I needed was a yes, and I got a maybe. Does that make sense?"

Connor nodded.

"I hate when I get maybes. I fine with nos but maybes aren't reliable. I couldn't design a concrete plan because I was relying on a maybe."

I had called Tommy shortly after Connor had left to wait for Hank. When she had answered, I'd told her my plan for breaking the deviant free. She was part of the plan; I needed her to drive the deviant to Jericho. But Tommy was busy. Apparently, Jericho had a new leader. At first, I was frustrated because I'd have to somehow sneak the deviant to Jericho myself. Then, the deviant self-destructed and all my plans were canceled. Part of me had been relieved because it was one less thing I had to do. But the other part was disappointed I hadn't been able to save him. The maybe was my chance of meeting tomorrow. Tommy said she might be able to make it. Might.

I hate maybes.

"What didn't go to plan?"

I lifted my head, pulling myself out of my thoughts, "It's a long story. I meet with a friend every week and this week she might not be able to make it."

Connor nodded again and turned back to the front to face the rearview mirror. He sat like that for a little while, watching the cars wisk by on the dim lit street.