Part ten: Connor?

I stepped out of the shower and wrapped myself in a warm towel. I stood there for a minute before I dragged myself to my bedroom and collapsed onto the white bed sheets.

I'd always preferred the minimalist look. With the sleek edges and classy colors, it made me feel more put together than I was. As much as I would've liked to just fall asleep, I had things to do. I pushed myself into a sitting position, the towel falling off as I did so. A sudden coolness entered the room; I shivered.

Stumbling to my closet, I picked out a tee shirt and some undergarments. Half-heartedly putting it on. Then I made my way to the bathroom to finish up.

---------------------------------

I had been in the middle of some paperwork for the office, when I heard a knock on the door. The original plan had been to shower, get ready for bed, and then go to bed. But things happen and Tommy called. They needed my help to gather supplies. So, instead of doing paperwork in the morning like I usually do, I was doing it now.

I had also changed. I hated doing work in anything other than work clothes. I found it difficult to focus otherwise, and I was already low on sleep. It was nearly 11 am. If I went to bed sometime in the next hour, I'd still get at least eight hours of sleep. Meaning, overworking myself tonight shouldn't be a big deal.

But who the hell visit someone in the middle of the night? I approached the door and looked out the peephole curiously. Was that... Connor?

I opened the door wide and raised an eyebrow. Connor looked down at me, tucking the coin he'd been playing with in his pocket. He gave me a soft smile.

"I'm sorry to disturb you, detective. Another case came in and I thought we should check it out."

"No worries," a smile came easy to my face, "would you mind waiting a little?"

"Of course not," he nodded his head in my direction, "may I come in?"

--------------------------------

Connor pov:

I stepped inside the small apartment, closing the door behind me.

"Make yourself at home, I'll only be a few minutes," the detective smiled shyly and walked into what I assumed was her bedroom and closed the door. I looked around the room.

FIND OUT MORE ABOUT DETECTIVE L/N

I walked to the windows first. She had a nice view of the city. The windows looked out to a few other apartment buildings; below was a dark alleyway. I walked through the living room, scanning things as I made my way to a box that rested on the coffee table.

The box was made of a light wood with seeds glued along the edges and a green painting in the middle of the top. I carefully opened the box and peered at what was inside. A stuffed animal, a dagger, and a box of matches. It seemed like something someone would use in a ritual. The box stood out against the minimalist look of the rest of the home, suggesting it was personal. I closed the box and set it back on the table.

There was a bookshelf positioned near the kitchen close by. I picked out one of the books and looked through it. Panic Room by Robert Goddard. A mystery.

My eyes fell on two picture frames on the top of the book shelf. I reached up and grabbed the first one, bringing the photo closer. There were two people in the photo, a man and Y/N. The man seemed to be in his late forties. He was muscular and held a dagger in his free hand. The same dagger that was in the box. His arm rested along Y/N's shoulder. The detective didn't look much younger in the photo; it was taken recently. They both had smiles on their faces. Parent? Maybe. But they didn't look alike.

I put the picture back and picked up the other. Three people stood in front of what looked like Niagara Falls. Y/N was on the far left next to a brunette girl with brown skin and pale blue eyes. On the brunette's other side, was a black haired girl with light skin and dark eyes. Y/N and the brunette smiled at the camera while the black haired girl looked at her friends. Unlike the first photo, this one seemed older. Y/N's hair was longer and her style was different. She dressed like the average college student. Carved into the black frame were the words: RIP TANIA, 2015-2034. One of the girls are dead?

I set the picture on the shelf and moved onto a fluffy chair in the back of the living room, close to the door. Above the chair was another picture frame but instead of a personal photo, it was a poster of Eminem. A rapper popular in the early 2000s. In special font at the bottom it read: 'I'm just a little bit sicker than the average individual I think.'

I moved back from the wall just as Y/N emerged from her bedroom. She was already dressed appropriately before regardless, she'd changed into something more casual. Baggy black jeans and a tight white shirt with a rain jacket resting on her arm. Her hair was down as it was before but it looked as though she'd combed it. The detective stopped in the middle of the living room and and smiled at me before reaching down to pick up her iPhone.

"Find anything interesting, Connor?"

I lifted my eyes to where the two photos were placed on the book shelf, "yes," she raised an eyebrow and crossed her arms. I motioned to the pictures, "who are the people in the photos?"

Her eyes followed mine, "the older man is my friend's adoptive dad," she smiled, "he trained me in self defence and a little bit in weapons. That picture was taken a few months ago when he retired. He left the same day I finished his course. He gave me that dagger as a parting gift."

I nodded, "what about the two girls?"

Y/N flinched a little at the mention of the girls but explained anyways, "my friends from the orphanage. During college, we traveled a lot of places, trying to see the world before we settled into a 9 to 5 job for the rest of our lives. The one with brown skin is Jasmine and the other..." she sighed, "is Tania."

I took a few steps forward, "I saw on the edge of the frame... what happened to her?"

"She was killed by an android. A taxi driver. I guess he hadn't seen her or maybe he didn't press the brakes in time. Doesn't matter now, she's dead anyways."

"Was the android destroyed?"

The detective met my gaze, "yes."

"Is that what got you interested in androids?"

"No," Y/N shook her head, "I've never been interested in androids per say. It's just the division I was assigned."

I stood silently for a few moments, not sure what to say besides 'I'm sorry for your loss.'

"I'm sorry about your friend," I hesitantly took another step forwards until we were face to face. I looked down at the detective, giving her a sad smile, "I can't imagine how you must've felt and I won't pretend to know what it's like," Y/N lifted her head to look at me, "you're not alone, Y/N. If you ever need any support or someone to talk to, don't hesitate to reach out."

The detective grinned suddenly, like a switch went off in her head, and linked our arms, "thank you, Connor. I hope you know the same goes for you. If you ever need anything at all, you know how to find me."

I smiled, "of course."