Chapter 3 | divination & astronomy

4th September, 1979 ~ Tuesday

---------------------> IT WAS AN OPEN SECRET AROUND HOGWARTS that nobody took divination seriously. Unless one were a Seer, it was extremely difficult to make solid predictions and so, the syllabi heavily relied on guesswork and statistics of the probability of an event coming true. Hardly anybody paid attention to the teacher as she taught and it was a known fact that the students only took it as an easy O subject that would make their overall report card look good.

Regulus Black, however, had a different reason for choosing the subject as one of his electives, along with Ancient Runes and Arithmancy.

Alera Abbott had taken Divination as an elective, along with Care of Magical Creatures, and he knew that she absolutely loathed it with every cell in her body, and that was putting it lightly. The usually sweet Hufflepuff would transform into a metaphorical fire-breathing Dragon, complete with the slitted eyes, ugly looks and the fire of insults spewing vengefully from her lips.

Alera had nothing but harsh words for the subject, prompting Regulus to wonder why she even took it if she detested it so much, especially considering she continued the class even after the O.W.Ls. Whatever her reason may be, it didn't change the fact that Regulus always looked forward to that hour for the sole intent that Alera didn't.

Sure enough, a grin enlightened Regulus' features as he watched Alera having to be dragged into the classroom by her friend, a scowl twisting her lips as she begrudgingly took one of the only seats available —which happened to be beside him— considering she arrived just in time, huffing like a child denied a toy as she did.

"Welcome," Professor Mably spoke as she entered the classroom, her voice airy and whimsical yet loud, "to the art of divination! Are you ready to open your third eye?"

"I don't even want to open my first and second ones," Alera muttered lowly, prompting a snort out of him.

Whatever personal grudges he had against her, he couldn't deny how amusing her comments were. The downward curve of her lips never failed to make his curl upwards as he took enjoyment in watching as she lost her serene composure, an event that occurred in every Divination class.

Regulus also knew that many of their classmates also gained amusement in her remarks. Walden MacNair had even claimed that he attended the classes to specifically see the scene that would no doubt be caused by Alera.

Professor Mably paid no heed to Alera's statement, ignoring them from experience as she clapped her hands together, a smile brightening her face. "Okay, now. Today, we are going to do something a little different from what we did the previous classes—"

"—Like something that is real?" Alera murmured, only to be ignored once more as Professor Mably elaborated on the fact that they had officially graduated from predicting using leaves to twigs, bringing a bewildered glint to decorate her face. "Wait. Just to be clear, we are talking about sticks on the ground revealing prophecies?" She questioned, receiving a smile and a nod from Professor Mably who continued on with her explanation.