Chapter 5 | leia & caius

8th September, 1979 ~ Saturday

Noon:

--------------------> THERE WAS A CHARM HELD BY ALL THINGS FORBIDDEN THAT MADE THEM UNSPEAKABLY DESIRABLE. Regulus had never been one to tempt those boundaries, however. After all, there was a difference between satisfying one's curiosity and do something absolutely stupid.

But the Forbidden Forest was making it inexplicably difficult for him to not want to venture into it. It was thick with an abundance of ancient trees as well as undergrowth of knotgrass and thorns. The large canopies of the trees refused to allow any more than a scarce amount of sunlight to hit the damp soil and veins of various shades of green hung in patterns.

There were profusions of life thriving at every step of the forest from black roses and bubotubers to foxes, blood-sucking bugbears and —based on his deduction of some footprints— hippogriffs.

Yet, there was a beauty to it. An enchanting sort of elegance. A certain allure of the forest that sung to him like a Siren's call. A beguiling tune with a promise of danger.

As Regulus contemplated his chances of survival, hand gripped tightly to his broom, he snuck a glance to the girl who made him do this in the first place. Comparatively, she was much calmer than he with a skip in her steps and a hum under her breath which only further solidified his suspicion of this not being her first visit.

"Oh, wait!" Alera abruptly exclaimed, halting and prompting him to the same as he threw her a questioning look. In response, she pointed to the imprint in the damp soil, rushing towards it with happiness lighting up her pretty face.

Following her, Regulus partially crouched down as he observed the footsteps, setting his prized Quidditch broom down. "They look like hooves," he noted.

"I know," Alera said, squinting her eyes at the footprints. She set the basket she was holding on the ground and used her index finger to daintily touch the hollowed soil. "I think it was made by unicorns. It's still wet. They must have just passed by. Do you know what this means?" She whirled around to meet his eyes, an awed expression decorating her face.

"That unicorns live in the forest? Yes, I had assumed they did." Regulus dryly replied.

Alera was unbothered by his reaction. Instead, she giggled. "No, it means that there are unicorns nearby! Isn't that lovely, we might be able to sneak a peak of them. We should thank our stars for this opportunity because unicorns usually reside deeper into the forests."

Regulus looked at her with a vacant expression. "I have no intention of seeing unicorns," he said, the lie effortlessly leaving his lips.

"But I want to," Alera said. "So I'm going to go and metaphorically hunt for real unicorns."