Chapter 7 | badger & snake

8th September, 1979 ~ Saturday 

Afternoon:

-----------------> AFTER THE APPEARANCE OF CINNAMON THE BOWTRUCKLE, the rest of the branch slowly emerged from a tree. There were a plethora of them, tens of little, living twigs with long, sharp talons and curious eyes.

Alera grinned towards them but otherwise, paid them no mind at the moment. Rather, she swivelled to face Regulus and gestured him with an inclination of her head to come closer. His fingers curled tighter on the wooden handle of his broom, as the wind caressed his cheeks.

"Come on, Regulus, say hi to Cinnamon." Alera voiced encouragingly. The bowtruckle perched on her hand slowly peered up to meet his eyes and released happy clips into the air.

Regulus levelled a doubtful stare at them both as he arched an eyebrow, stepping closer nevertheless. "Cinnamon," he repeated in a deadpan, "like the spice?"

"Like the wonderful scent that reminds you of home." Alera corrected, pushing her hand forwards.

Cinnamon walked across Alera's palm as if it were a model on a runway before it balanced itself onto the very tip of Alera's index finger. Then, it gazed at him and Regulus felt admittedly nervous under the bowtruckle's scrutinising stare.

Whatever conclusion Cinnamon had arrived at, it must have been happy with it because it chittered jubilantly once again and in one push, leapt off of Alera's palm at Regulus, grabbing on to the end of his jumper and hiking itself onto Regulus' shoulders before seating itself into a comfortable manner.

If Regulus felt odd that a little being was using his shoulder as a stool, his carefully masked face did not show it.

Alera, however, beamed. "I think Cinnamon likes you," she informed him.

"And that's a good thing?"

"Of course! Bowtruckles happen to have excellent judgement skills," she stated matter-of-factly. "It took me nearly four visits to get him to warm up to me.... I'm surprised that it only took him two minutes to like you, though."

Upon detecting a mixture of envy and resentment simmering over in Alera's tone. He smirked. "Well, as you said, bowtruckles have excellent judgement skills."

"Maybe not excellent," Alaera muttered under her breath, casting an eye to where Cinnamon's little head was happily dancing with the breeze while his long fingers gripped Regulus' shirt so he didn't fly off.

"You're just jealous because Cinnamon is more fond of me than he is of you," Regulus said, his affection for Cinnamon skyrocketing as he loosened his grip on the broom.