Chapter 18

6 Years Ago

Zvezda - 14 Years Old

They say that you only realize what you had once it's gone.

I've been reminded of that every single day since it happened.

I still remember the flames, the earth around me which was scorched by the fire that kept burning.

It was unstoppable and what was worse was the fact that he made sure I survived.

***

"There's so much more we might find. We already have enough to bring the f*cker in but we might have to go near that warehouse." I pause as I shake my head.

"I know you think this is happening too quickly but it's the only other lead we have and for once, don't tell your godd*mn secret lover or whatever, what we're up to. If something goes wrong you'll feel like bad and I'm not dealing with your lame a*s." I tell Aleksi as I smirk at him while throwing a pillow at his face.

"Oh my god, you goober." He groans.

"I'm not in some kind of secret relationship or something for god's sake and I'm not gay. He's just helping me out with this stuff. His father has a huge business empire too and our parents even work together Zvez." Aleksi rolls his eyes as he pauses to look at me like I'm stupid.

Good going.

"You know he's just as involved as we are, especially after all that shady shit he found that I told you about. I don't know why you're such a nag already." He laughs while throwing even more pillows at me.

"You're 21 years old and you know I would support any kind of relationship you have but who is this guy and why are you trying to hide his identity from me? I still don't get it Alek."

"He doesn't want anyone knowing anything about the fact that he knows. People already obviously know what we're usually up to and he just wants to keep a low profile."

I give him a deadpan look as he stops speaking when he sees my expression.

"You know what kid? I'll actually let you meet him. I'm supposed to meet him tonight to talk about everything we've all found after we both go raid the warehouses. He's supposed to be having some family thing but he can get out unnoticed for a while after it because everyone else will be busy."

"Aleksi, do you really think we can trust this guy?"

He suddenly looks serious and faces me directly while he says,

"Zvez, there's going to be a lot of shit which is going to happen soon and a lot could possibly go wrong but I need you to know that this guy is someone you can trust with your life.
I trust him and you know I don't trust anyone easily that way. He's very hard to read and may seem emotionless at times but he's someone that saved my life Zvez and you know that."

This guy had saved Aleksi from a bullet at a corporate event that our father had held a few months ago which was ambushed. If that man could save someone as vigilant and strong as Aleksi then he was obviously probably trained as well.

"To be honest, I'd hate to say this cause you're my little sister but he's more likely to be your sky than my anything in that sense." Aleksi says while air quoting with two fingers up, in a humorous tone while letting out a laugh.