Life of a Mistress

As you peacefully slept in your luxury bed, you kept turning side to side. Sure, this might've been a sign that you should've been awake by then, as you could somehow tell it was the morning from the slivers of sun that peeked through the velvet curtains, but it felt as though someone was watching you as you slept. It didn't take long for your concerns to rise, as you felt something heavy land on your chest. Your eyes shot open, but luckily, your feline friend, Ginger was there. 

Just you and her. 

Her emerald eyes watched you with affection. Maybe it was the fact you had spoiled her with a few treats the night before, or maybe it was just your chest looked comfy, but you could tell Ginger loved you. This was a first, but you certainly weren't complaining. She wasn't one to be affectionate physically, and it made some sense in regards to her past. 

You had gotten her from an auction, and only God knows what the animals go through while they're being either captured or bred. 

You hummed in delight and gently pet the behinds of her ears, to which a loud purr erupted from her throat. Your hands then reached her cheeks, to which she immediately purred the loudest. Your gentle touched seemed to be soothing her, and building a bond between the two of you, and once again, you were certainly not opposed. 

This continued for a few more minutes before the door to your bedroom gently opened, revealing Hudson, who was holding a tray of Masala chai tea. He, for good reason, held a surprised expression lining his features. 

"Mistress, is everything alright?" He asked, gently setting the tray on your nightstand before heading to the curtains, briskly opening them. 

You, with a hesitant sigh, sat up, making Ginger jump off your chest, then off the bed, soon exiting the room. Reaching over, you grabbed a porcelain tea cup and saucer, blowing off the steam before taking a small sip of your preferred beverage.

"Yes, everything's alright." You replied, not bothering to question his intentions. It was a rare sight to see you awake at such a time, and it would take Hudson shaking you to get you up and ready usually.

You heard him heave a sigh of relief as he got your things ready for the day. Everything from your outfit to your meal plans; he had it all planned. 

"So, what are the plans for today? I need a reminder." You called out to him as he pulled out something deadly; a corset. This made you cringe, and you could swear you heard him chuckle under his breath. Even with his aging eyes, he always could see through your brave and serious facade. 

"Nothing until approximately four in the afternoon." He replied.

"What's at four?" 

"A meeting with Ciel Phantomhive. It's for the case of the missing children. Truly heartbreaking, isn't it?" 

You gave a small smile at the thought of meeting Ciel, as you deeply cared for him. He was one of the few you cared for, including both Grell and Hudson.

You couldn't give a damn about Sebastian. 

You slid off your mattress and towards your vanity, where you grabbed your brush and started running it through your hair. It didn't take long for Hudson to notice and smile, making you turn with a slightly confused look plastered on your face. 

"Is something the matter, Hudson?" You asked. 

"No, you just remind me of your mother and sisters, that's all." He replied, a fond expression lining his aged features. 

Ready to change the subject, you turned the conversation to your favorite reaper. 

"Is Grell in the dining room?" 

"I'm afraid not. He said he had private matters to attend to." 

You cringed at 'he', but soon nodded and excused Hudson from your room, allowing him to further prepare breakfast. It didn't take long for you to somehow tie your corset on your own, and you were soon fully dressed, heading for the staircase when your eye caught something. 

A family portrait of you, your sisters, your mother and father was on the wall that faced your bedroom door. Your sisters' eyes met yours, and you couldn't help but feel relieved, in some twisted fashion. Their deaths affected many, but at least they were no longer suffering. There were times where you wished to bring your own child into the world, perhaps to make yourself less lonely, but you knew that wouldn't be fair in any capacity. So, you stuck to protecting the only one you could: Ciel Phantomhive. 

The aroma of your favorite breakfast meal made you slightly more relaxed, but the image of their smiling faces made you uneasy. Hudson said nothing as you sat alone, and soon left as you began digging in. 

Your eyes remained on your plate as you briskly ate. Despite your good manner when you had woken up, your mood was now sour. The thought of removing that painting from your sight would be a hindrance, both on you and your servants. Besides, it was the last thing you had of them; those you used to care for. 

A feeling of melancholy enveloped your chest as you continued to eat the meal your mother used to prepare for you. It didn't help Hudson had used the exact recipe. Yes, it was perfectly made, but there seemed to be a distance. Yes, it was made with care, perfect ingredients, and in an impressive manner, but it seemed to be lacking the love that your mother would've put in it. 

Of course, you didn't complain and soon finished your meal, not bothering to cry at the dining room table, especially first thing in the morning. You just sat there with your hands folded, staring out to the garden through the large window, thinking about walking through, hand in hand with a lover. 

You scoffed and stood up, about to head up to your office to continue your work-load when a familiar voice caught your attention.

"Madam L/n." 

With a swift turn, you saw Ciel Phantomhive, standing ever so tall with Sebastian right beside him.