Once More

"Mistress Y/n." Ciel said, making sure your attention was on him and him alone. "Thank you for having me." 

You gave him a smile of adoration in return as you walked forward and gently pet his head. "Didn't I say to drop the formalities when around family?" 

He averted his eyes and gave Sebastian a look of dismissal, to which the demon butler soon wandered through the halls of your manor. It was routine for him to do so, and while you had no objections, it did irk you as odd. 

"So," you said, separating yourself from him and clapping to get Hudson's attention from the nearby kitchen. "Shall we get started, my dear nephew?" 

Ciel nodded as his eyes latched onto the hard-wood floor. You could only assume it was a reminder that you were the last guardian figure he had, other than Sebastian. And even then, you weren't human, meaning there was still a distance through the admiration you felt for him. Even if he acted like an adult, ran his million pound toy business, and remained stoic through it all, he was a child, and you could see right through that act of remaining calm or pretending to not be scared. 

However, instead of getting emotional over something that needed to be addressed for a later date, you gestured towards the staircase that led up to your office, to which he followed without question. It was a thing of trust. It wasn't that he followed your gentle order, but it was the fact he didn't seem to be angry or stoic. Even as he walked ahead of you, his pace quickened, and you could tell he was excited through how fast we walked. 

Maybe it was because he hadn't been in your office in years, or maybe it was because there a family portrait of your now deceased sisters and their families. Once again, their deaths affected everyone, especially Ciel.

It stayed silent as you both walked up the stairs, and it was clear neither of you had anything to say other than the details of the case. It wasn't surprising, and you were somewhat okay with it.

"Aunt Y/n." Ciel called out, catching your attention. 

"Yes?" 

"How did you get your memories back? Once you died, you came back as a succubus. And what may be the most jarring is the fact you remembered everything about your life." 

You hesitated before answering. "I'm not sure. All I know is that death is permanent for anyone. But there are exceptions. Reapers and demons are the primary examples in this context."

He seemed surprised by your answer. "Are you saying that Sebastian was possibly alive as a human? For the reapers, it makes sense, but Sebastian? He's been around since the bloody Black Death for God's sake!" 

"I implied it. Hell, I don't know myself. All I know is that I, every demon, and grim reaper cannot experience a second death if that's how we came to be." 

Soon reaching your office, you opened the door to reveal the same thing you saw everyday. The sun peering into the large windows, paperwork scattered all over your desk, and a tray of steaming tea and a variety of cakes sitting on your desk.

Oh, and your favorite reaper was sitting on your desk, examining herself in the mirror. 

"Grell, what are you doing here?" You questioned, not reacting much when you shoved her off your desk and onto the hardwood floor. 

"Being glamorous, dammit! Great, now Bassy will never love me!" She exclaimed, standing up and pointing at you with the mirror. "Devil woman!" 

You sighed and gestured for your dear nephew to sit in the seat across from you, ignoring the rambunctious red-head. 

"Do you have any theories regarding the culprit, or culprits?" You asked, pulling out several photographs, files, and notes from either witnesses or families of the victims. It was sickening to see the children's smiling faces staring at you. But it couldn't be helped; all you could do was wish for their safety. 

"Yes. There has been a gang wreaking havoc throughout the country. Everything from homicide  to drug-trades; they've done it all." 

You raised an eye-brow and sat down in your seat, ignoring the tray of treats and tea awaiting you. 

"Do you have a name in mind? There have been a spike in cases like that over the past decade or so. There's a very slim chance that it's only one gang." 

He nodded, "I believe they're called 'The Scarlet Riot.' Those are our primary suspects due to their history."

You nodded and wrote it down on a spare piece of paper. "Splendid. Are there any records?"

"Not that Sebastian and I are aware of. However, they're only human, meaning at least one of them must have gotten caught and interrogated." He informed, glancing towards the blueberry and strawberry cake that sat on the tray. 

You chuckled, "Go at it. I won't tell him." 

He nodded and gently took both a cup of Earl Grey and a slice of each cake, not bothering to offer you any. The room remained quiet as he continued to munch on his sweets, and as you continued to scribble down potential informants and contacts, as well as making a list for you and Grell.

"Aunt Y/n." 

You looked up and gave him a small smile, "Yes?"

"There will be a ball at Lord Black's home this evening. I will be attending along with Sebastian. I expect you will be attending, along with a date." He informed.

Fake coughing into your fist, you shook your head, "That won't be necessary. I will be fine on my own." 

"I won't back down on this. You're the last family member I have other than those nutwicks who I've employed, and I would hate for you to end up like those prostitutes that were slaughtered last year." He continued, his irritation slowly starting to show. His calm and stoic manner was starting to crumble, along with his willingness to put you in an unnecessary.

You sighed, "Fine. I will have Grell take me, as she is working with me on this case." 

He nodded and leaned forward, setting the steaming cup of Earl Grey onto your wooden desk. His blue eyes were laced with venom, "Splendid. But if she does anything funny to you, I will have Sebastian hunt her down." 

You softly chuckled and stood up, soon excusing yourself momentarily to ask Grell.