Red Roses

The five minutes you had given Grell to explain herself worked to some extent. She had pleaded, cried, gave promises to make it up to you any way she could, but in the end, she left with a severely dissapointed expression.

You sat in your office, where the gifts Grell had brought you were piled up. You hadn't bothered to open any of them, and you were thinking about whether to give the gifts to the kids or not. You weren't sure how, but somehow, it seemed Grell had known you adopted the eleven gremlins who had grown to adore. 

"God," you mumbled to yourself. You felt mentally exhausted, and your head was pounding like a drum. "What the hell am I supposed to do?" You leaned on your desk and buried your head into your arms, feeling tears of frustration well up. And, despite being a demon, you felt tired, and like you needed sleep. 

Sleep. That sounded nice.

While sleep was something only humans and animals required, there had been times where you slept. Of course, most of those times were when Hudson would suspect something if you hadn't slept. Besides, it refilled your energy somewhat, but nothing could beat souls when it came to the energy department.

You stood up from your chair and looked yourself in the mirror that stood in your office, and a small smile lined your lips. It was the same mirror you had stared into the night of your argument with Alea. It was the same mirror that Angelina and Rachel used to do their makeup, and would gossip teasingly about the countless suitors they had encountered.

It was also the same mirror where Grell used to tell you about her day, collecting souls and stalking Sebastian, giving you countless compliments along the way as she gently brushed through your locks.

Yet, despite those good times, there was something about that mirror that made you shatter it to nothing more than shards on your hardwood floors. Your own blood dripped from your knuckles, staining both the floor and the infinite amount of shards, but you couldn't care less. And despite the memories that flooded through your mind, like the day you were informed of both of your sisters' deaths, it all felt numb. No tears joined the pile of blood and glass, instead, it was the scattered reflection of a broken mistress.

"Mistress Y/n!" Two voices made you turn your head, where Amelia and Elijah rushed in, concern spread across their expressions. 

Your eyes latched onto them, "Is anything the matter?" you asked. You had managed to compose yourself within those spare seconds. You had heard their footsteps rushing towards your room, but ignored it until this very moment. "Are the rest okay? Where's Hudson?"

Their expressions remained concerned, and they both replied in the same tone of worry, "Are you alright?! You're bleeding!" 

"Yes," you replied, remaining calm despite the infinitely deep emotions which welled in your chest. You kneeled down, gently ruffling both of their heads. "Thank you for your concern." 

Amelia's eyes landed on the moderately sized amount of presents that sat on your desk, and you were menally preparing yourself for all of the questions she was going to spill at you. She was a curious one, that was for sure. 

"What are those?" she asked, pointing to them.

"Yeah, what are those? Is it your birthday or something?" Norman chimed in. 

You shook your head, coming to the quick decision to allow the little buggers to open their presents. "Those are for you," 

Amelia's eyes lit up with stars, as if she had realized a secret that would be between her, Norman, and you. "Is that why you sent us to the library?!" Her tone was excited, and since you're as soft as a marshmellow, you gave the young girl a smile.

"Of course," you nodded and stood up, picking up the two to avoid them stepping on any shards of glass. "But before you do open them, can you please go get the others while I clean up?"

The two nodded, and as soon as you had gently set them down outside of your office, they speeded to get the others. 

You looked at your hand and sighed, grabbing a pair of black gloves from a nearby cabinet and putting them on. Then, using your demon abilities to your advantage, you cleaned the shards in no time, leaving not even a sliver on the ground.

The eleven children, along with Hudson entered the room, and you and Hudson sat in the corner as you watched the children search through the pile, pulling out gifts they had recieved. A look of joy washed over each of their faces, even Talia's, who soon ran off to her bedroom to read the book she had recieved.

"Mistress," Hudson said, catching your attention. 

"Yes?"

He gestured towards a bouquet of red roses, where an envelope with Grell's signature on it was sitting on your desk You weren't sure you hadn't noticed it before. "I believe that's for you."

You looked at the bouquet before hesitantly standing up and grabbing it, checking the envelope for anything else other than your former friend's signature. The only thing you found on it was a small doodle of you and Grell hugging, with a few small hearts surrounding it, and a small note saying it was addressed to you, the lovely Y/n L/n.

While it was true that you were in fact lovely in every way, shape, and form, you were intrigued onto what the letter had to say. You practically ripped it open, hoping it would provide answers to your personal dilemma. 

Your eyes widened at what it said, and the children, who had seen you read it, immediately gave you concerned looks. 

"Are you okay?" Jackson asked. You said nothing as you nodded, a small, gentle smile lining you lips as you ran your hand through his ginger hair.

"Yes," you replied. "Thank you for your concern."

A/N: Before you start planning my murder for not providing what the letter said, it will be provided in the next chapter because I'm tired.

Plus, cliffhangers are great.