46~ Motives

"They really think they're close to finding an antidote?" Tzuyu's eyes widened.

It was dinnertime and Krystal and I were sitting with our roommates, Tzuyu and Irene, along with Yeri, Suho, Yuta, and even Wonwoo, who'd surprisingly joined us last minute.

The cafeteria was large and filled with loud chatter and clinks of plates and cups. Trainees and trainers alike all sat together in groups. The trainers usually sat near the front of the room at the tables most accessible to the exit.

I found my eyes darting over to the table where a certain silver-haired Outworlder usually sat and where we'd exchange the briefest of glances. Tonight however he was nowhere to be found. I didn't mind much though; I was excited to relay the hopeful information to the other trainees around me.

"They're going to be running a final test tonight," I said at all their wide gazes.

"And Jiyeon and I were invited to watch firsthand," Krystal boasted smugly.

Envious rumbles rippled around the other trainees.

I'd convinced Jungkook and Hoseok to let me watch the final test of the possible counteractive against the Moonsbane that Namjoon might've created. It was partially because of genuine curiosity and partially because seeing Jungkook and Hoseok made me miss the other members.

I wanted to see both Jin—with his worldwide handsome cerise Marks and corny puns he liked to pull— and Namjoon—his bold cut mauve Marks and the calm, knowing aura that surrounded him.

Taehyung was still on his mission as far as I knew. He, along with many other Outworlder spies, were being discharged to infiltrate the Reformists' known hideouts to exploit weaknesses. There had been a few other attacks and counterattacks between the opposing forces, but at the moment, everything seemed to be unnaturally calm.

Something deep within me warned it was the calm before the storm. Something was brewing, trouble and tensions were rising. It was just a matter of time.

But perhaps... just perhaps tonight would prove to be a major game changer for Outworlders if the antidote proved to be successful.

"I'm curious." Yuta leaned on the table, his voice pulling me back to the present. The russet orange Outworlder was gazing curiously at me and Krystal and Suho— the only humans at the table. "Why are you guys fighting on our side? I mean, I appreciate it. I truly do. But I'm just curious if you have backstories on why you decided to join the Outworlders' side."

Suho shrugged but Krystal's expression darkened. There was clearly a story behind her motives. And it wasn't a very happy story from the looks of it.

Suho was the one who spoke first though. "I had, and have, a lot of Outworlder friends," he said. "My family is really accepting of the extraterrestrials from the very beginning. I used to play with Outworlders when I was little. Your guys' morphing is perfect for so many games to play. So when the Reformists rose up, I was appalled and knew instantly what side I'd choose. The Reformists are wrong in so many ways. Humans can grow up peacefully with Outworlders."

"Did you have an assigned Outworlder under Order #327?" Inquired Yeri.

"Of course." Suho grinned but it was a sad grin. "We got along wonderfully. But... we lost contact after the Reformists rose up and became really volatile. I want to believe he's alive somewhere and safe, maybe just in hiding."

The unspoken words dangled in the air as Suho fell silent. There was a much higher chance his former assigned Outworlder had fallen victim to the Reformists.

"I wish I got along as well with my assigned human," Wonwoo piped up, regret filling his words. "He... didn't like Outworlders. We barely got along and he upped and packed the moment our six months were over."