The Forgotten Haddock

(Author's Note: I would just like to mention that I don't own any of the images I do/will use.)

It was a quiet night and I was lying down next to my twin brother, Hiccup, doing our saying.

"This is Berk." We say together.

"It's 12 days north of hopeless," He continues.

"And a few degrees south of freezing to death." I say with a smile.

"It's located solidly on the meridian of misery." Hiccup says, matching my smile.

"Our village. In a word, sturdy." I say.

Hiccup snorts, but continues anyway. "It's been here for 7 generations, but every single building is new."

"We have fishing, hunting and a charming view of the sunsets." I say a little sadly.

"The only problems are the pests." He says.

"You see, most places have mice or mosquitoes."

We hear the flapping of wings. Hiccup went to go see what was happening while I collected my bow and my 3 quivers. It's one of the only ways you can tell the difference between me and my brother. We look almost exactly alike. We even have the same clothes. I keep them under my bed and pat around until I reach my bow and one of my quivers. I make my way downstairs, knowing it like the back of my hand. Actually, I have no idea what the back of my hand looks like, cause I'm blind. I hear a dragon flapping, which sounds like a Monstrous Nightmare, the sound of a dragon shooting fire and the door slamming.

"We have dragons." Hiccup finishes our little saying. I put my quiver on my hip and my free hand in Hiccup's. He leads us outside and I follow him.

My name is Nara Haddock, I'm 15 and I'm blind. I'm blind because someone tried to kill me. I dodged the knife, but it slashed my green eyes, blinding me. Our healer, Gothi, wrapped my scared eyes in bandages. That was 2 years ago. Sadly, I can't do my long auburn hair. My best friend used to do it, but since she ghosted me, no one does. But don't let my blindness fool you, cause my other senses are better than any human. I can feel the vibrations of nearby creatures and objects. I can hear the faintest whisper from 30ft away. I can smell things out like a dog. Because of this, the only weapons I can use accurately are bolas or my trusty bow. I'm pretty muscular from using a 90lbs bow since I was little, but the villagers like to say that I stole my brother's strength, while he stole my sight , but we share the sass. He's quite the dreamer and very observant.

Suddenly I get pulled to the ground as someone lands on top of Hiccup. "Morning!" He says as he gets up. Hiccup leads me to the forge weaving past the viking villagers run around. We dodge people and their comments.

"What are you doing here?!"

"Get inside!"

"What are you doing out?!"

"Get back inside!"

We keep running, but then we're lifted off our feet. I feel the heat of dragon fire go right where we would have been.

"What are they doing out again? What are you doing out?! Get inside!" The voice of Stoick the Vast, chief of the tribe, commands. They say when he was a baby, he popped a dragon's head clean off its shoulders. Do we believe it? Yes, we do. We keep going to the smithy.

"Hoist the torches!"

We finally make it to the forge and are greeted by the smith, Gobber. I've felt his face and he has a braided mustache, an under bite and missing a hand and foot.