1| The Task at Hand

When I was ten, I knew that once I hit the age seventeen or eighteen, I'd have to do something I'd regret for the rest of my life. I knew that I'd have a task, one that was so unnerving that I couldn't bear, or at least that's what I was told. I was curious to know what it was. What if it's all a joke? What if it's something stupid?

It began with my parents, not really having a lot of money. They were a typical middle-class family who worked as much as possible to provide needs for their child, that being me. We had everything we needed; wants, not so much. However, I was still grateful. I learned to be grateful at a young age, and it's something that will be carried with me for the rest of my life.

I remember the day my parents first took me to the academy. It was beautiful. The lawn well kept. The architecture strange, but elegant. I remembered the feeling that came across me just from looking at the large building. It looked as if it was going to collapse on me.

"You like it, Carmen," my mom smiled at me, pulling me from my trance.

"The building is so big," I continued to look at the building, studying every little aspect there were about it.

"Well," she got down on knees, looking face to face with me, "me and your daddy want you to go here."

I remember how big I smiled. I was overly excited.

"But, that mean you have to be prepared to work really hard," she changed her expression to sudden seriousness.

"I will," I looked down at the ground.

We went into the academy and met with the Head of the Academy, Sir Isaac. He expressed to my mother that because I wouldn't be paying, due to our "status." I'd have to be joint with the school via contract, meaning I would be given randomized tasks once of age, that I would have to complete. Not saying no. If I were to drop the contract, I'd forever be in his debt as well as my parent. It was a double-edged sword, but it was all for my benefit. It was secret deal, a deal that the school didn't allow the public to know.

Now my eighteenth birthday is in a few months, and I'm closer to my part of the contract.

"Carmen."

I heard the voice of my mother calling me, still I didn't answer.

"Carmen, you have to be up, or you're going to be late."

She was right. I was going to be late if I didn't get up. I rolled over out of bed, and got dressed, fixing my hair, and gathering my things.

"Carmen, if you-"

"I'm ready already mom," I interrupted, laughing at her for rushing me.

I walked out the door and made my way to the academy. I thought about the first time I went there. I was so amazed by the building structure, taken away from what was really inside. But now, that I'm older, I hate it there. Everyday is torture, a struggle to fit in the rich kids, making a name for myself, and keeping my secret down below.

If anyone knew that I was here on a contract, I'd never hear the end of it. Despite me not really caring I'd prefer that no one find out considering that it was a sworn secrecy agreement.

I put my headphones, shuffling my Billie Eilish playlist. I closed my eyes, as the words from the song rhythmically flowed. It was calming, the way she made her music, not to loud, but never too low. As the song was about to go off, I got a notification. I checked to see what it was finding out that it was Sir Isaac, the Head of the Academy.

Meet me in my office.

I rolled my eyes at his message. I hated going to his office, it was almost as if he would patronize me every time.

I made my way to his office, preparing myself for the news that had been waiting me for seven years. The undoable task.