3| What the Night Brings

I walked into the woods, not sure as to where it would lead. As I walked up a steep hill, I noticed a big rock. Out of breath, I made my way over to the rock, making it my seat. I could feel the cool breeze from the wind, and the warmth from the sun. It was the perfect serenity I needed, to get my head out of the clouds. I slid down the rock sitting down on the cool earth. I closed my eyes and ran my fingers thru my hair. I sighed deeply thinking about what I would do in the future.

Suddenly, I heard a tree twig snap. I turned my neck quickly. Instantly, my eyes widen. It was him. The boy from the picture. He was standing right before my eyes. He was the one I'd have to take out.

"You must like what you see," he smirked.

Unaware of my staring, I shook my head trying to clear my thoughts. What an a-hole. I studied his figure, comparing it to the picture Sir Isaac gave me. His presence was intimidating, and his eyes were lighter now. He was fit, which meant he exercised.

"And can't talk." His words broke my train of thought.

"Actually, I'm just leaving." I stood up and gathered my things. I could feel his eyes trailing my body. I turned around, giving him a side-eye. Still, he studied my body. The way he studied me was unnerving. He studied me the same way I studied him. It was unshakeable.

I grabbed my jacket, and walked past him, avoiding eye contact as much as possible. As I walked past him, I caught a whiff of his smell. He smelt like the forest, a smell, unlike others.

I made my way home. Making very few stops on the way. I need to record everything I noticed about him.

I felt my phone vibrate on my leg. I looked down to see that it was my best friend, Samantha. I instantly answered.

"Hey girl," she shouted, music loud in the background.

"Hey Sammy, where are you?" I asked, knowing more than likely she was at a party.

"At a party," she answered, proving me right. "and you're coming with me."

I haven't been out of the house in a while, and I could use a little breather. Besides if I said no, she wouldn't let me hear the end of it.

"Ok, text me the address."

She squealed as if she was a child. "Ok, see ya. Bye."

I drove home and put on a pair of black ripped jeans with a graphic white tee. I looked in the mirror and was satisfied with my look. I grabbed my keys and made my way right back out of the house.

My phone vibrated. I checked to see that it was a message from Samantha. It was the address of the party.

4333 Cheersfall Avenue... See ya girlie... xoxo Sammy

That's Lathan's house, I thought.

I stared at the message a little longer, smiling at it. I had known Sammy for five years, and yet she didn't know anything about me. She only knew of the little things that scratched the surface. Most of the things I fed to her were lies. Our friendship was living on lies. Solely on lies. It saddens me to think of it. I know she would understand, but I was too embarrassed to tell her, and it was too late now.

I drove down the highway in complete silence entrenched in my thoughts.

I turned on Lathan's block, approaching his house. I stepped on the brake and turned my car off. It was completely full of people. I took in a deep breath, before getting out of my car.

I walked up to the house and I could already hear the loud music. I entered the house, and the aroma of alcohol filled my nose. I walked around and grabbed something to drink. That's when I heard a voice calling my name.

"Carmen."

I turned around to see Sammy running up to me arms open.

"Oh my gosh, hey," I said excitedly.

"Finally, you made it here, I thought you weren't ever going to come," she said, knowing I've done that in the past.

I laughed, "not this time."

"Well, now that you are here, let's get you fucked up."

I clapped my hands, ready for what the night was to bring.

She got some shots and I drunk them, not knowing what they were. As I drunk them, I felt the burn travel from my throat to my stomach, and my eyes watering.

"What is that," I frowned.

"I don't know," she shrugged.

I looked at her and she looked at me. And instantly we laughed. We were drunk.

We danced around for what seemed like hours. At the moment, it seemed as if all my worries from the world went away.

I grabbed Samantha and whispered in her ear, "I have to pee."

She laughed. "Ok, be back in five, if you're not, I'll look for you."

I nodded my head. I made my way thru the crowd, and up the stairs, to an empty bathroom. I went into the bathroom and was relieved as I finished. I got off the toilet, looking in the mirror fixing my drunken appearance. I opened the door and stumbling down the hall.

Then, I felt a hand grab my arm, pulling me into a room. Before I could react, a hand covered my mouth, muffling the screams escaping my lips. I tried to kick and scream, but to my dismay, I couldn't. I was completely helpless and there was nothing I could do.

He threw me onto the bed. I opened my eyes to be met with the dark gaze of Connor. I opened my mouth instantly and screamed.

"The music's too loud, no one's going to hear you," he crossed his arms, rolling his eyes.

I looked over to the door and at him. I was too drunk to run, but I had to try. I got up and was instantly pushed on the bed again.

He pinned me down to the bed. I could feel the heat from his breath as he whispered into my ear.

"Don't run, let's just make this quick."

I kicked and kicked. He grabbed my neck, squeezing it tightly. I opened my mouth to scream but every sound I tried to make, came with unbearable pain in my throat.

I felt my body, drift. It was as if I was going to sleep. And then I was gone.