HOME

'Let me know when you get home,' Gerard said as they said their goodbyes in the car.

'I will.' Frank kissed him one last time, lingering a little longer, hoping he'd remember the taste of his lips over the next couple weeks, and then he got off the car.

He fell asleep as soon as the plane took off, which was good because he was already missing Gerard.

But the closer he got to New Jersey, the more excited he was to see his kids.

It had only been three weeks, and he missed them running around and making a mess, being noisy and annoying, playing with them and just hanging out.

And he had bought them so many gifts during tour, he was sure they'd love.

After almost half a day lost on airports and planes, he finally made it home.

He was tired and needed a nap, but he only took a shower, and cleaned up the house a little before going to pick the kids up from their mom's house.

'Hey, there,' Jamia greeted him when he got there. 'I wasn't expecting you here until tomorrow.'

'I promised them to take them to the movies, so I'm not breaking that promise.' He often felt guilty for missing out on so much, and breaking so many promises because of his career. And now that they were divorced, it was even worse because he knew exactly how it felt, having grown up with divorced parents.

'C'mon in,' she said. 'I'll tell them you're here.'

While the kids finished getting ready and got their bags, Frank texted Gerard.

Hey.

He waited a few minutes but there was no answer. A part of him knew Gerard was most likely busy or sleeping, or hadn't even made it to LA. But another part of him was sure he'd forgotten about him by now.

'Dad!' the three kids came running to him, bringing him back to reality.

Maybe this is the only thing that should matter. Maybe what he had with Gerard was just lust, him feeling so lonely that he was confusing for something more.

He just hugged his kids and ignored his stupid brain.

They all got in the car and Frank drove them to the movies. They chose the Avengers and Frank bought them popcorn and soda and all the candy they wanted, spoiling them just like his dad used to when he was a kid.

After the movies, they picked up the dogs from Frank's dad's house and went home and played monopoly and ate ice cream. It was then that his phone rang.

He almost jumped off his seat, just like a teenager when his crush called.

Gerard.

It was Gerard.

He remembered him.

'I'll be back, guys,' he said to his children. 'I have to answer this phone call.' And then he went outside to the backyard, and answered. 'Hey.'

He was aware of how shaky his voice was, but he couldn't hide it.

'Hi,' Gerard said, and Frank knew he was smiling. He imagined him sitting in his bed, smiling, and he wished he was there with him. 'I'm sorry I didn't answer.'

'It's okay.' It was. He knew he was just overreacting.

'I'm staying with my brother for the next couple days.'

'That's cool. I'm glad you're not by yourself in that old big house of yours.' Gosh, Frank wanted to tell him so many things. How much he missed him, how he – 'I miss you.'

'I miss you too.'

'I can't wait to see you again.'

'Me neither.' They didn't say much for the rest of the call, just about their day and Frank's kids and Gerard's nieces, before they hung up and Frank went back inside.

The next morning he woke up to make breakfast and they went to the park with the dogs. And on Monday, he took them to school early in the morning, and when he was back, he took another nap and woke up to Gerard calling him.

They talked about a new song Gerard was writing. He asked Frank about guitar pedals, and he gave him a list of the ones he should buy. They talked for hours until he realized it was time to pick the kids up from school, but they promised to call each other the next day.

Though they kept texting each other throughout the day, while Frank helped the kids with homework, and to show him the dinner he cooked for them. Gerard sent him a picture of his cat in his garden, and told him he was going to go write.

Gerard called him the next morning and the next and Frank sent him a video of Cherry playing Welcome to the Black Parade on bass, and Gerard said he loved it.

But Frank also made most of the time he had with his kids. They played video games and played with the dogs. He really loved being a dad more than anything else.

He loved how each one of them had their own personalities, and helped them with all the ideas they had. They showed him a movie they made and asked him to write music for the soundtrack, so the three of them sat with Frank while he played guitar, making up tunes until they all agreed it was what the movie needed, and then he recorded it on his laptop and added it to the video.

In the blink of an eye, it was time for him to go back on tour and they had to go back with their mom. 'I'll miss you, guys,' he said, dropping them off the night before. 'I'll be back before you know it, okay?'

'Say hi to Mr. Gerard for us,' Lily said.

Frank just smiled and agreed. He knew that they were starting to figure out.

He left for Florida just hours later – whoever had booked his flight at four in the morning was going to pay for the consequences – and tried not to cry.

He got to Orlando by noon, tired as hell, but as soon as he made it to the venue he looked for Gerard. He found him talking to his bass player inside, and went to say hi.

'Hi,' the other man said, smiling. 'How are you?'

Frank walked up to him and kissed him. And everything was right again. He knew then he didn't want to be away from him ever again. 'I'm good now.'