𝒐𝒏𝒆

The bedside window shattered as a brown owl crashed into her room. She awoke with a start. Before quietly cursing at it, she took note of the time.

August 29th, 9:58 am.

Of course. Not only was she about to get yelled at for the broken window that's currently scattered across the carpeted floor, she's also going to be in trouble for being late to breakfast.

As if it was on cue, "Athena! Get your ass down here!" rang through the manor halls. Reluctantly swinging her legs off the bed, something caught her eye. A pale envelope with a red wax seal. She was curious, but she picked the letter up, and hid it under her pillow, deciding to wait until later to find out what it entailed.

She didn't know much of her family. They were quite the secretive bunch. There were only a couple of things she was sure of.

One, they didn't like the idea of her going to hogwarts. She had no idea why, but it was the reason she had been going to Beauxbatons for the past 5 years. It was a bit weird to her, since her whole family had been going to Hogwarts since she could remember.

Two, they weren't big fans of muggle borns. Her family was one of Sacred Twenty-Eight, so it wasn't surprising. She didn't agree with their views, although that was something they would never know. That was something no one would ever know. She didn't even want to imagine what would happen to her if anyone found out.

As she ran down the hallway in her pajamas, she struggled to keep her balance. She tried to compose herself as she walked down the stairs. Her family was very formal. It was a relief that her pajamas were acceptable to wear downstairs today. However, she knew they wouldn't agree with her unbrushed hair and teeth.

Oh well. They'd have to suck it up, cause she was not running back upstairs again.

She entered the dining room, being greeted by her mother. Her father was glaring at her. Whether it was because she was late, or because her hair was unkept, she didn't know. She gave him a small smile and a nod as she sat down at the wooden table. Her little brother, Sirius, came racing into the dining room as well.

Sirius was younger that she was. In just a day he would be turning 11, meanwhile Athena would be turning 16 on November 7th. It was a while away, but Athena had always hated birthdays anyway. Her parents weren't to fond of "birthday parties", so they would just act like the occasion wasn't anything to make a big deal out of.

One year her mother gave her an emerald ring in the shape of a flower. It was actually quite the gift. She would never forget that year. It was her 11th birthday. Athena was never able to figure out why her mother had decided to give her such an expensive birthday present, especially since she never got another gift again.

It didn't bother her, though. Her parents had always been distant. Besides, her and Sirius would secretly go off to the kitchens at night to ransack the desserts on their birthdays. It wasn't much, but it had become a tradition. It had become something they'd both bonded over, and that was all that mattered.

Once they were both sat down at the table, her father started talking.

"Look, Sirius, Athena, you both have school coming up. Now, Sirius, this year will be your first. It will be Athena's as well."

Athena's head jolted up.

"What?"

Her mother looked away from her and Sirius, studying the landscape outside of the dining hall. It was captivating, but Athena couldn't dwell on it with all the confusion swirling in her head.

"Am I transferring schools?" Athena questioned.

"Yes, child. You and your brother will be going to Hogwarts this year. Beauxbatons was getting a bit too..." He sneered "dirty."

Athena cocked her head to the side. She was aware that beauxbatons was accepting half-blood and muggle-born wizards and witches, but she never thought it would've made her father transfer her to a new school.

Her brother responded with a quiet "Yes, father."

With a nod of her head, and quick "Ok", she decided not to argue. There was no point in it.

Besides, how bad could Hogwarts be?

●▬▬▬▬▬๑⇩⇩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

Hey guys! So, one short little side note. I know Sirius was born a decade or two after this time period, but I thought his character would fit well with Athena's. I thought it also might give a hint as to what Sacred Twenty-Eight family she was born into *wink wink*.

monday, october 12th, 2020

word count: 752