𝒕𝒘𝒐

Walking up the stairs, she thought about what her father had said to her.

It wasn't right, the way her parents thought. She didn't think she would ever be able to hate someone over something they couldn't control.

She wanted to do something about it. She wanted to tell her father off; tell him about how everything he was saying was wrong, but she knew that if she did something like that, it would be unforgivable.

As she turned the corner and started down the hallway that her room was in, she remembered the letter that the owl had brought to her when it catapulted itself into her window. Athena's mind swam with curiousity. She couldn't recall ever getting a letter before.

The thought of all the glass in her room made her feet move a bit quicker. She knew her parents wouldn't be too happy about a broken window.

Entering her bedroom, she made sure to step around the glass. The last thing she needed today was a piece of glass stuck in her foot. She grabbed a random pair of shoes from her closet, and put them on. She had no time to waste.

She started with the glass closest to her door first, thinking that if her parents decided to come into her room for some reason, they might not notice if they weren't stepping on it. 

The glass shards were oddly beautiful when the sun caught them, but sadly, she didn't get to look at them long as a gasp came from behind her.

Athena's eyes widened.

Shit... she forgot to close the door.

Her mother was standing right outside of her doorway, a disapproving and irritated look painted on her face. Studying her mother's body language, she wondered how many times she would have to apologize before her mom finally let her back into the house.

Something similar had happened once before. Athena had dropped a glass bowl on the floor while helping the house elves wash dishes in the kitchens. She was feeling generous that day. Her mother, however, was not. She got kicked out of the house for a week. Luckily for her, it was late summer, so the weather wasn't too hot, or too cold.

Athena had neighbors down the road who let her in for meals, but they refused to harbor her in fear of what might've happened if "Mr. and Mrs. Black" found out.

To say the least, she did not want to sleep outside for a week again.

When she came back out of her thoughts, her mother was standing in front of her, hands on her hips, and a questioning look on her face.

She looked pissed.

Athena wasn't sure what lie she wanted to give her mother.

I mean, I guess just telling her the truth wouldn't be too bad, but she still hadn't gotten to open that letter, and she didn't want her mother to take it.

She thought about saying it was just a stray bird, too stupid to realize that the window wasn't air.

Yes, that would have to do. Besides, what else could she tell her? It's not like anything else would be better, and she refused to blame something like this on Sirius. She would much rather take the punishment than have him take it. That poor boys already been through enough.

Athena raised her eyes to meet her mother's. They were cold, and absent of any type of emotion besides rage.

"Mom, I swear, it was a bird. It must've thought the window was open or something. I threw it back outside once I found out what it was. I'm so sorry."

As she finished her sentence, she wondered if she should start crying. It sounded like a good idea, but Athena's parents weren't very well known for being empathetic.

"Athena Black, how many times am I going to have to kick you out of this house? I thought I already told you this. If you broke one more thing in this house, you were gone for good."

Athena stared back at her mom, jaw dropping severely close to the floor.

She didn't actually think she would kick her out for good. It didn't make sense to her. How was breaking one or two materialistic things worth more than her?

Tears threatened to come to her eyes, but she fought them back. She wouldn't let her mother get the satisfaction of seeing her cry.

"Pack your shit, Athena, and leave. I want you out of this house by tomorrow morning. I don't care where you go as long as it's not here."

And with that, her mother turned on her heel, and strutted out of the room.

PaCk YoUr ShiT aTheNA

Merlin, sometimes she absolutely hated that woman.

She questioned if arson would be easier than just stabbing her. Maybe both? Or not. She didn't know.

However, she did know that she had to see what was in that letter.

She closed her bedroom door quietly, and sat down on the bed, taking the letter out from under her pillow.

She eyed the writing on the back.

Ms. Athena Black
The House of Black
12 Grimmauld Place
London, England

So it was for her.

She carefully opened the letter, and took at the parchment that was placed inside.

Hesitantly, she unfolded the paper, and read.

Dearest Athena,

  It has come to my attention that you will be attending Hogwarts this year, and as headmaster, it is my duty to welcome you!
  Come August 31st, a man named Albus Dumbledore will arrive at the corner store down the street. You should pack your things tonight, so you can meet             Professor Dumbledore there at noon.
  No need to worry about money, or anything besides clothes. Everything else will be taken care of.
  I’ve heard only the greatest things about you, Ms. Black, and I am ecstatic to see all the outstanding things you will achieve here.

Sincerely, Headmaster Armando Dippet.

As Athena finished reading, she didn't know what to make of the situation. She'd never had a headmaster owl her directly.

She'd also never had a professor come pick her up for school.

To say the least, her predicament was... interesting. She wondered if her father knew. Surely he would have heard about this.

Then again, Athena had a feeling that if her father knew about how she was getting taken to school, he would have something to say about it.

Now, enough worrying about her father. What in the world was she going to pack?

●▬▬▬▬▬๑⇩⇩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

Hi again :) I'm just gonna pretend that it didn't take me a week to write this. Anyways, I hope y'all caught the "my father will hear about this joke".
Please try to point out any spelling errors if you find them. I appreciate you sm and please do not roast me too hard. Have a nice week! Hopefully i'll update before next monday :/

monday, october 19th, 2020

word count: 1101