FIFTY SEVEN

Louis could heard shuffling beside him and he almost jumped when he felt sightly chilly hands nip at his shirt to raise it upwards. He's sure it can't be much past one am.

Softly, he hears Harry clear his throat; completely unaware of just how awake Louis really was. "Hey my little bugs, you guys aren't bothering mummy much are you? He seems pretty down for the count, right?" He settles a hand against Louis' protruding bump, gently resting his cheek against the top of it.

"Why don't I tell you guys a story, huh? You wanna hear a story? 'Course you guys do!" Harry says in a hushed voice. "When I was sixteen and mummy was eighteen, we met for the very first time. We sang together for the first time, it certainly wasn't the last time anyways. That's kinda where it all begins. I peed on him, y'know?" Harry chuckles quietly.

"Mummy and daddy started to get really close, closer than daddy was with uncle Niall, uncle Zayn and uncle Liam. A different type of close. The kind of close you can't really explain until you feel it. But nobody wanted that kind of closeness to exist, 'cause when you're in a boy band, you have to attract girls, lots of 'em too. But that also means you've gotta be seem by the fans as only liking girls. But I liked mummy and mummy liked me,"

"Years of struggling and arguing for our relationship, we ended up turning on each other. We were a ship and the water has finally sunken in despite all our lifeboats. No life jacket could save us by then. However, a little while ago, mummy and I shared a very special type of reunion together. That special time gave us your big brother, who's not actually that much bigger than you guys. Which is strange and crazy and brand new all at once, three under three won't be easy,"

Harry pauses for awhile. So much so that Louis had begun to consider the possibility that Harry had fallen asleep. But then that familiar husk Cheshire accent speaks again.

"But I'm ready for it. I love it. You two, Alec, your mum. Mummy's wonderful. He's carrying you guys right now, he carried Alec. He did wonderful having Alec and he's gonna do just as good with you both. Because Mummy loves you. So much," Harry gently nuzzles against Louis' bare skin. "Just like daddy does."

"I haven't really put much thought into if you guys are boys or girls, or even one of each. But I've been thinking about names and I have a few I think mummy's really gonna like," Louis can hear the smile in Harry's voice.

"I love mummy, so very much. I always have. I couldn't be more grateful for him. S'why I just wanna take care of him and make him all mine. But I don't want him to think it'll be for the wrong reasons," Harry vents quietly. "I just hope someday mummy and I can do that, be married. I just want mummy to see that its not as scary as he thinks," Harry smirks softly.

"Goodnight babies, I'll let you get your rest, eh?" Harry peppers tiny kisses all around Louis' belly. "You're tucked in all nice and toasty in mummy's belly," Harry whispers. "He'll keep you safe, Lou's got you guys."

Harry gently and as discreetly as he thinks he can, pulls Louis' shirt back down over his rounding tummy. "Goodnight, L," Harry utters imtp the darkness of the room, expecting his words to fall on deaf ears.

Louis doesn't answer, not wanting to give up his facade and certainly not wanting Harry to feel insecure and less privated with his conversations with the twins.

Harry yawns, wrapping an arm around Louis' soft waist and snuggling his head into the crane of Louis' neck, a hand still placed on the swollen baby bump. Louis smiles in the blackness of their room, happy.

"Lou! The photos came back!" Harry calls from the living room.

"Really?!" Louis asks excitedly, entering the living room from the kitchen; two mugs of tea in hand. "Are they nice?" He questions, handing Harry his H mug. He curls himself next to Harry, Alec snoozing in his little musical swing chair.

Harry thanks him as he kisses his cheek. "Absolutely stunning, darlig. You look amazing! Look at you!" Harry opens the carefully labelled envelope.

Louis' eyes soften. "Oh wow, look at us," He smiles softly as he carefully picks up one of the photographs. He quite likes this one. His face isn't exactly in it and neither is Alec's. Instead, its Harry kneeling down, placing kisses on his tummy while Alec's little sock clad feet are present, dangling downwards as Louis grips him.

"This one is beautiful, Hazza, we should frame it," Louis gushes, turning Harry's attention to the photo.

"Its lovely, Lou, but what about this one, huh? It's got your face in it, love?" Harry beckons him to look at the one he's delicately holding.

Louis glances at it and almost has to do a double take. He has no words. Its almost like a zoomed out version of the last one except Harry is cupping Louis' bump with his palms while gazing up at his boyfriend as Louis averts his gaze downwards at Harry, their eyes locked. Alec, much like the last photo, is contently pressed into his mother's side with a loving grasp. The flowers decorating Louis' hair seem to dazzle in the spotlight.

"Oh," Louis whispers. "Oh, Haz, I quite like that one," He sniffles softly.

"Our gorgeous family," Harry muses. He holds up a solo shot of Louis, he's cradling his bump, looking downwards at it; strong jawline present as the bump peeks out of Harry's ivory shirt. "I'd like to use this one as my next album cover, y-you wouldn't mind would you?" He hesitates before asking.

Louis thinks for a moment, taking the picture in. He does look quite beautiful in that photo and he wonders if this is his confidence growing and blossoming. He smiles at his lover. "If you wanna use it, use it all you like, babycakes,"

He's opening himself up the vulnerability and Harry feels his heart burst with pride.

Harry grins. "Thank you, babe. I know you're trying to love yourself that bit more this time 'round and I just want you to know I'm very proud. Al is too. I can tell,"

Louis chuckles. "We never did get to finish discussing your potential cover album, did we?"

"No because we argued, silly,"

"I know," Louis nods, sipping his tea. "Would you like to finish having that conversation?" He prompts.

Harry glances at him. "If you're sure, darling,"

"I'm sure, baby, let's talk, I'm excited to listen" Louis nudges his head onto Harry's shoulder, listening to Harry talk animatedly about how excited he is to be working on stuff again, whether it be his own stuff or altering artists he admires stuff. And this is where Louis realizes it's all about compromise. The gives and the takes of life. The gives and the takes of love. And it's at this moment, he has a sort of revelation.

AUTHORS NOTE 
this chapter is kinda sort but I'm quite proud of it because I think you can really see their development as a couple and them transitioning into finding themselves outside of their band relationship and their past relationship. They're both
Learning to listen and compromise. Let me know what you think!