Part Two: Try To Forgive Me

Al had avoided the ocean, but then he heard about disappearances.

Humans being swept away, but their bodies never appeared, no matter how soon the Coast Guard showed up.

Eventually, a young woman had escaped.

From the description, Al knew in an instant.

Broken ribs.

Internal organs were bruised.

Legs nearly crushed.

Al traveled to see her.

She woke up after a few days, and when he asked her about it, she spoke softly.

"It was like you say. A mermaid, or man, I guess. Violet eyes. But he didn't let me go. I was lucky. Something attacked him, and he let go of me. I managed to get away. It helped that I was wearing a life jacket."

Alfred nodded. "I'd suggest you don't tell anyone else what happened."

"Understood."

* * *

Ivan nursed his wound with his sister's help, bitterly angry.

Natalia glared at Toris, but her mate ignored her, tending to the scratches left on his arms.

Sofia floated in between the three of them, silent and afraid to say anything.

Ivan finally snarled. "If I can't hunt, how are we to survive?"

"We've built up some reserves. We'll last through the winter now."

"We won't. It isn't enough!"

"YOU'VE BROUGHT TOO MUCH ATTENTION TO US! REMEMBER YOUR PARENTS?!"

Ivan lunged for Toris' throat, and the smaller merman threw him off. Ivan snarled and went for him again.

Sofia's arms separated the two, and she bared her teeth, a gesture that instantly put the two in their place. If she decided to, she could challenge Ivan and win, but for now she let him lead their small pod.

"Ivan, we must stop hunting the humans for now. We have drawn too much attention to ourselves. However, Toris, by injuring Ivan, we lose a hunter. We all must start ranging further, or resort to survival food."

They all grimaced at the thought of trying to tear apart sea urchins without stabbing themselves repeatedly. The damn things were hardly worth it, but it was food.

Ivan curled up in a small cavern, and then he felt Sofia join him.

"I'm sorry."

"No, Vanya. We needed the food, and you're the only one who knows how to hunt them. But for now, we must find other ways of eating."

"Toris' bite went deep. I don't know how long it will take to heal."

"Rest until it does. We will find food."

* * *

Alfred couldn't believe he was out here.

It was almost the middle of winter. The water was freezing now, and he'd finally managed to get to the beach on a day where it was safe to use the kayak.

He carried a pocket knife with him, and a gun, as well as a life jacket.

He paddled out as far as he could, and waited.

Nothing.

Finally, he sighed and headed back.

On the way back, he allowed it to drift for a while, setting his hand on the pistol.