Part Four: A New Way Of Life

The pod returned, and Ivan led Roderich to the sea witch's home.

The doors swung open before they had even arrived.

Roderich swam inside, and Ivan, right behind him, saw Elizabeta's eyes grow wide.

"You came?"

"Why wouldn't I?" He asked, taking her hand.

The sea witch smiled, and then he set the necklace around her neck.

"I thought you had died, love. To have them bring me your necklace and say those words... I knew I had to find you."

Elizabeta smiled, and then turned to Ivan. "I can see your heart is good. Wait a moment."

She returned with two seashell necklaces. "I cannot give you the power to live on the land forever, but every half year, you may emerge and spend the rest of the year ashore, until the sea calls to you again. If your mate is true to you, with this shell, he can join you in the water for half a year, and then he also must return to his own home. This way, you can live together. When you grow old in your land form, return here with him.I will gift him with gills, and together you can swim for the rest of your lives, if you so wish."

Ivan smiled, accepting the gift, but then a small frown crept onto his face. "What if we decide to raise children?"

The witch frowned, annoyed, but the merman chuckled. Finally the witch sighed. "Then return here, and I will gift you with another necklace. But do not abuse this power, Ivan. I will not give them to you eternally."

Ivan nodded, and then he left, the two necklaces wrapped around his wrists, headed back to his pod.

* * *

Alfred and Matthew sat on the rock, silent and waiting.

Finally, from behind the kayaks, the silver haired head appeared.

“Ivan, I don’t mean to scare you, but this is my brother, Matthew. He wanted to meet you.”

Ivan looked at Matthew, and then he shook his head. “No. He get angry. He will scream  to go away.”

Matthew frowned. “I won’t do that. I haven’t even met you before.”

Ivan shook his head. “No. No good.”

Al bent over and reached his hand out to Ivan. “Hey, it’s okay.”

Ivan’s purple eyes disagreed.

“Why are you so scared?”

“Knife.”

Al raised an eyebrow. “Did you bring anything like that?”

“No, you told me not too.”

Ivan shook his head. “No, he protected by one with knife. Knife hurts, worse than Toris’ bite.”

Matthew’s eyes grew wide. “A knife? You… you were…”

Ivan backed away, looking scared, and his eyes were darting around, as though trying to see if there was another person.

Al leaned out, too far, and allowed himself to hit the water. In an instant, he grabbed Ivan. Ivan startled, trying to escape.

“AL!” Matthew shouted, panicking.

Ivan slapped Al with his tail, and the blow stung. “Ivan, stop!”

Then he saw Ivan bare his teeth, and turned, preparing to strike. Al did the first thing he thought of.