Chapter- 3

"How could you be so careless?" Mom yelled. Kona was practically part of the family so she just went out to the garage. She looked at me with a dagger-like glare and her words echoed through my head. It occurred to me how distracted I was today. Kona had to check on me every 10 minutes because I would zone out. After she finished telling me off and started on Brynn, I went outside. It was a bit mysterious somehow. Mum had grounded me but I felt myself being drawn to the dock down the road. I ignored it and just sat on the patio chair. I looked down the road and there was a bike approaching. It was Anthony Kalani.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

Anthony was just a guy from school in drama club that I knew. He was well known around the school because he can make or break your reputation. Now you might be thinking, "How can a DRAMA NERD be popular?" Well, here's the thing. Anthony isn't rich, or the son of the principal. He's just a nice guy. Just a nice guy. If you are being rude, everybody will shame you. Literally. He has a plaque on the wall labelled "Mr. Nice Guy". It was strange to me before, but not even the bullies will touch him. Back to the story now.

"Hey, Maggie!" He said, brushing his black locks out of his deep brown eyes.

"I'm just dropping off some food for Ms Kahele down the street, wanna come?"

"Why?" I asked.

"Why not?"

"For starters, I'm grounded."

"Why? Is it because of that broken flowerpot?"

"Partly."

"Please come!" He insisted. "I need to talk to you about something."

I gave him a reluctant eye roll and hopped off the chair, stumbling down the stairs due to the momentum.

"Cmon, you can ride at the back of my bike." He offered.

Still mildly embarrassed, I said no. He shrugged and I regretted declining his offer as I saw that the house was farther then I thought.

Anthony looked back at me and for a moment I could've sworn that he smirked. God, sometimes I hate him so much. But other times, he's sliiiighhhtttly more bearable. Just as I took another wheesing breath and wiped my brow, I saw him speeding back and sat down on the curb. 

He pulled over and gave me some water from his backpack, then sat down.

"Don't say anything" I shushed him by putting my fingers down.

He pulled my wrist down then looked away and smiled, then I gave him a friendly punch. 

"What did you need my help with?" I ask, less reluctantly.

He explained that he was doing a project on family history and needed too look for some of the books at my house.

"Where did you hear about those?" I asked causiously.

"Remember when I was 8 and we hanged out at your house because of the buddy assignment?"

"Don't tell me, you looked through our stuff." I eyerolled.

"It was interesting! Besides, you can't expect me not to look through thousands of archives!"

"Fine. We can go to my house after school and I'll try to find some old journals."

He smiled at me and then ran his hand through his hair with a relieved expression on his face, but then it turned into a daze. He stared into my eyes and it seemed like he was being drawn to me somehow. I narrowed my eyes and he snapped out of it.

"What was I just doing?"

I told him he was just thanking me and he jumped up and left. He said I could use his bike to ride down and reassured me he would be okay walking there. I rode down and thought of his phase. Was it like when I was a baby? I mean, it's the one of the only times I remember being feeling tired then desperate. Like I sucked the energy out of him. 

He came back and I hopped off the bike. Gave him a quick fist-bump and he rode off. I sat back down on the chair and nearly dozed off. I heard the door open and Kora came out. Then it happened.