10:48 am

I finally arrive at the gate of 22 Maple Grove. I step onto the gravel path, lined with worn down red bricks. I inch towards the rose bushes beside the fence and pluck the biggest one I can find from its stalk. 

I've been grabbing one for Maggie every few days that I come and visit her. I hold it tightly in my hand while I weave down the paths. I only pass a few people as I'm walking but it's not surprising considering it's the middle of the week. I continue walking, dragging my feet in the gravel, leaving lines on the ground. I look up as I steer around the final turn. There she is.

Maggie's 18th birthday was the best one she's ever had. It was rose themed. There were white roses in the vases on the serving tables, rose petals scattered on the grass and pink roses placed along the edges of all the chairs. It really was a beautiful event. 

While we were getting ready for it, she came out in her red dress, asking if she looked ok. She was self-conscious now that her hair was considerably thinner. I told her she looked amazing and to not worry about everything going on, but to just enjoy her birthday. 

We spent the day dancing and ignoring problems for the day. Her mum took hundreds of photos of us together. We ate strawberries from a chocolate fountain and tucked fake roses behind each other's ears. It was the first day in four months that her bright blue eyes didn't shed a tear. It was the only day she didn't worry about the fact she was eating almost nothing and gained weight. But it was also the day her doctor called again.