chapter 5

Every morning from then on, a painful feeling would surge up [name]'s back. She had never been actually injured that day, but every time she thought of what went on that night, it painfully hurt without a reason. Her hand would caress up from her waist, to across her stomach, then to the arm that was pulled along by her red haired hero that one particular day.

She was thankful, truly, yet every time she thought of his deed, she would remember that deadly look in the depths of his eyes scaring her back to the memories in her mind. It was a large black hole there, and by far she was a swallowed entity without an escape, inside of it.

"[name], don't be scared. I got you honey."

She gasped awake from the same dream she had again another time since. The palm of her hand was sweating profusely, as much of sweat that was dropping down the side of her face. She pressed the back of her hand to her forehead with a sigh.

"Go away, please, all of it... I want it to all go away..." She begged in a faint voice, tightly balling her hands into fists, trying hard to hold onto what was left of her endurance.

It was too much, even for her.

About a week had passed. She had managed to settle down from her frantic state, for a small while anyways.

She would wake up, get ready for the day, work, work on homework assignments and fall back asleep. Wake, get ready, work, work on homework assignments, sleep. Wake up cleansed, repeat.

She had forgotten along the way about the bloodied, battered vision she had held in her arms in that small, helpless bag. Forgotten about the reckless fight between her nightmare and her hero. Forgotten about the cavalry captain that blocked off an arrow and faked a smile for her. Even forgotten about what Guinevere had promised her after she slapped her.

Until one late evening that should have gone the same as usual, she had experienced it: Guinevere's promise.

She was scolded by Ms. Rosa, like routine, after having skipped classes of an entire week again. She was on her return home alas from the cathedral in her solemn state of no repair.

By this point of time, students who had experienced the scene of a despicable slacking girl, had actually slapped her own sister out of her own pure jealousy. It was unforgettable, and spread madly like wildfire among the ears of their local peers.

[name], unable to list or reason for herself, had took the gossip as another one thing for the winds to listen to. It would bypass someday into the mountains, she was sure.

She was tired, and if it took all of what she had, accepting that this situation was true was an easier reality than wasting time into arguing with a deaf person. It still couldn't ease her pained feelings, rather it added on.

[name] had kept walking all the way home, sure enough, that today she would do better for her second night back to Cat's Tail. Just as she had almost stepped onto the porch of the house before her, her eyes caught onto the large bag sitting inside of the trashcan.

The things inside... It looked familiar?

The closer she had gotten to it, the more her brain struggled to process if what she really saw was real. Two tears rolled down her cheek unforgivingly.

Her face dropped. It was her small collection of books she had salvage from saving up money to buy over the years, and her more important other collections inherited solely from her mother. They were beaten, stabbed, brutally torn and shredded into pieces. Destroyed. Every single book to the last one she owned, from her favorite ones to the ones she didn't quite enjoy.