Cold

Ava pulled out another blanket and wrapped it around Connor, ignoring the barely audible grunt. If he hadn't managed to catch a cold in the summer when it rained, he would have had more rights than he does now. As it was, he was completely soaked, not thinking to wait out the bad weather.

"I'm not completely helpless" Connor said hoarsely, still content with the warm, settling more comfortably on the pile of pillows on the couch, Ava had thoughtfully brought. Their new home was very cozy and spacious, which is why Connor took the living room instead of the bedroom, being the center of comfort. 

"I don't doubt it" she agreed skeptically, touching his forehead with her lips in contrast to her words, frowning visibly. "Your fever doesn't go down".

Returning quickly with a wet little towel, Ava Placed it carefully on Connor's head and sat down next to him. He opened his eyes a little, meeting her eyes for a moment. 

"Thank you, Avey" Connor smiled a little, squeezing her hand weakly, holding it until he fell into a deep sleep. 

When Connor awoke to the pleasant smell wafting through the kitchen, he tried to sit up, fighting the sudden dizziness. He was lost in time, thinking it was morning, but it was only early evening, and the sun hadn't set yet. 

"Don't get up" came a familiar voice, and then Ava brought him chicken broth, which woke him up with its aroma.

"You know, the last time I ate broth was when I was sick, when I was a kid" Connor laughed softly, setting the wooden tray on his lap, closing his eyes in pleasure, inhaling the smell of fresh food.

"So you're lucky to have me" Ava said with a satisfied wink, about to leave for the kitchen, but Connor grabbed her arm.

"Feed me" Connor said earnestly, leaning against the back of the couch. 

Skipping the part where Ava could make a joke, she calmly sat down next to him, taking the broth on her lap and then holding the spoon out to Connor's mouth. The feeling of unease was completely absent, these actions were self evident.

"Come to me" as soon as the plate was empty, Connor stretched out his arms, hugging Ava gratefully, kissing the top of her head, chuckling. "It was an amazing chicken broth, and I didn't get sick for nothing".

They laughed, tangled in each other's arms. In the half-day that Connor had slept, she'd missed him. Even at work, they managed to somehow touch each other, even if it was only hands or even a fleeting touch of the back, shoulder. And while Connor was ill, falling asleep, Ava could only adjust the blanket that was falling off him, checking his temperature with her lips.

Kissing her temple, Connor tightened his arms around Ava until she just buried her face in his neck, smiling broadly. Drowning in blankets and pillows, and most importantly - with Connor - was unique.

"Avey, how did you manage when you were alone?" Connor didn't have to ask, but something inside him made him do it. Although he did not eat home made broths, he was never completely alone, much less moved from continent to continent. 

"Somehow" Ava replied after a long pause, visibly shrinking. She rarely thought about the moments of complete loneliness that had ended thanks to Connor, but when she thought about them, it made her feel bitter.

Silently, Connor lifted her up on his lap and kissed her gently on the neck, knowing how much it soothed Ava. Although all of Connor was her weak spot.

"Avey, you'll never be alone again" Connor promised in a whisper, but with confidence, the words crossed out her sad past, immediately feeling the insistent kiss in response.

"Thank you, Connor" Ava said softly, and there was no doubt or sadness on her face. She was happy.

Rolling onto his back, Connor pulled Ava along with him, holding her, burying his fingers in Her noticeably grown hair, making up for the hours they hadn't kissed. The realization that Connor was ill came when he pulled away guiltily, coughing. 

Without further bustle, Ava brought cough syrup and some other medications with a glass of water, helping him sort them out.

"You need to get some sleep" Ava insisted as Connor drained all the pills and looked at her wearily.

"Bad moment the common cold, huh?" he chuckled, not even thinking to argue with his wife, knowing that he would lose.

"It's not all good to catch the pros from it, is it?" Ava chuckled, leaning in to kiss him on the forehead, but finding herself caught in the arms that held her. She would have given anything to keep her hands on Connor's body.

"Stay" wasn't a question, but rather a statement, because Connor knew Ava wasn't going anywhere. However, he wouldn't even let her go.

Ava stretched out on the sofa, her head on Connor's chest, a beatific smile on her face. Kissing the top of her head, Connor put his arm around her and adjusted the blanket with the other, more concerned with the warmth of the girl he loved. That's why he fell asleep after Ava, with her faint but precious breath so soothing to a sick man.