Chapter 8.

Sid Prosen sucked hard on his large, fat cigar as his beady eyes bore holes into the two young boys singing into the microphones beyond the glass, in front of him. It was customary for him to cast a very critical eye over anyone who came into his studio, claiming that they could sing, but with these two, he could hardly believe what he was actually hearing.
Two schoolboys who could actually sing!

The one boy, the blonde shy, good looking one, had the sweetest, most angelic voice Sid had ever heard. It was quite high sounding, extremely well controlled and very unique. It was obvious to Sid that this boy had been singing for a number of years and had learned how to master his voice incredibly well.
The other boy, the darker haired one could also sing, although his voice sounded somewhat nasally and would possibly need more work on it. But he was indeed a more than fair guitar player though.
Together the two sounded very pleasing to the ear and Sid thought that they could actually have something.

When they had finished their song, the two boys stepped away from their mikes and grinned at one another. Sid looked around at the other two engineers standing behind him and nodded towards them, before speaking into his own Mike to the two young boys:

"Can the both of you wait for me outside please".

Paul and Artie both nodded their heads and then shuffled out into the dimness of the foyer.

"Wonder what he wants? ". Artie asked, taking a seat on one of the grey plastic chairs situated up against one of the walls.

Paul didn't answer. He had his own thoughts about the reason why, but didn't want to say anything out loud in case he jinxed things and was somehow proved wrong. So instead he began pacing around in tight, little circles, holding his guitar loosely in one hand as he did so.
Artie watched him, with his fingers tightly entwined together. He also had a feeling about this too, but unlike his friend, he wanted to talk about it.  He was nervous and uptight about all of this and found talking through such situations eased his nervous tensions.  Paul though, wouldn't give Artie any sort of eye contact whatsoever, choosing to ignore his friend completely.

Suddenly the door behind them opened and Paul spun round quickly as Artie also jumped up to his feet.

"Ah good. You waited".  Sid Prosen breezed, taking the cigar from out of his mouth.

Paul thought that this was a stupid thing for him to say. Of course they were going to wait. If you were told to do something by an elder, you did it, no questions asked that's the way they had both in fact,  been brought up, besides they were very interested to know why exactly they had been told to wait.
Sid turned and closed the door behind him, before facing the two boys again, looking at them more closely.

"Well.... You're good, I'll grant you that ".  He said.

Paul looked excitedly over towards Artie who had now joined him at his side.

"But you'll need a bit of work though".   Sid mused, thoughtfully.
"What are your names?". 
He then asked, looking from one to the other.

" Well sir, I'm Paul Simon and my friend here, well he's Arthur Garfunkel".  Paul grinned, his dark brown eyes were alight with excitement.

Sid turned to look at Artie.

"Bit of an unusual name".  He said slowly.

Artie gave him a glare. He was quite proud of his name and didn't much care for this guy, or anyone else in fact, saying that it was strange or unusual, but in normal Artie style, he said nothing.
However, Sid then went on to say:

"And you also have an unusually brilliant voice to go with it. It's a very beautiful sound that you make. You know, you really have something there ".