Chapter 12.

Paul had not set eyes on Artie for nearly three weeks now, which was a long time for the two of them not to have any sort of contact with one another whatsoever.
Paul in particular  was finding this separation very difficult to deal with, although he was at pains to really understand quite why.
He had actually become moody and despondent very quickly and had also begun to withdraw into himself a lot more  by not having his best friend at his side.
Paul had expected Artie to be back in the recording studio the very next day, like Sid had said he would be. Artie would have come in, smiled sheepishly, apologised for his errant ways and he and Paul would be back on an even keel once again.
However, when Sid had caught up with Artie on that terribly stormy, rain drenched afternoon Artie's mood had not been quelled by the rain.

"He went behind my back!".  Artie had yelled at him, in the middle of the street as the rain continued to pour down upon him.

Sid had come up alongside Artie in his car and had tried to persuade the drenched youngster that he come back to the studio and start recording with Paul again. But Artie was having none of it.

"He's nothing but a double dealing, double crosser and I don't want anything more to do with him....... Ever!".
Artie had continued, angrily.

Sid, desperately wanting to smooth things over between the pair had then suggested that Artie take a breather for a while, just to think things through and to come back when he felt he was good and ready.

But the longer the time went on now, the more Paul had started to convince himself that Artie might never be coming back.
It had already been the longest time, since they had first collaborated that they'd not seen or had anything to do with one another, which to say the least was very strange, although Paul had actually been round to the Garfunkel's house on several occasions.

The first time, was just a day after that studio debacle.  The rain had cleared and it was a bright, sunny and very warm afternoon, when Paul Simon walked up to the Garfunkel's residence with Artie's book tucked safely under his arm.
Paul still didn't know what the book was all about and in fact wasn't really interested in it, but knowing Artie like he did, he knew that he was probably missing it a great deal.
When he'd rung the doorbell, Paul  had convinced himself that Artie would be the one to open the door to him. Then, he'd see Paul standing there with the book in his hands, smile at him as Paul handed it over, then thank him in which Paul would make a weird or witty comment, like he'd finished reading it so thought he'd bring it back, even though they both knew that Paul wouldn't even have passed the first page!
They  would both then look at one another again and start laughing hysterically.
Yes, this scenario had been played out beautifully in Paul's mind and he really couldn't see it turning out any other way!

But as Paul rang the doorbell for the second time and then the third, his hopes of it actually playing out were fast diminishing.
He then looked up at the windows. Surely someone was in?
So he rang it for a fourth time but still there was nothing.
This was most strange.
With three boys and their mother all living in the same house together, (Artie's father was very often working away), it was very unusual for all of them to be out at the same time!
In fact it was practically unheard of!
Usually there was somebody in.

Undeterred, Paul decided to go round the back towards the light blue coloured wooden doors that led down to the basement. Perhaps Artie was down in there studying or listening to some music and hadn't heard the constant ringing of the doorbell. The doors to the Garfunkel's basement were seldom locked and very often Paul would come here first and let himself in, rather than disturb the rest of the household, especially if he and Artie had arranged to hang out together. The only reason he'd gone to the front door first today, was that he wasn't sure of the reception he might receive from Artie if he just burst into his basement unannounced, although he'd actually done it many, many times before!
The difference today being was that Paul had never experienced such hostility towards him from Artie as he did in the studio only the day before, concerning Tru Taylor.