Marriage Trap

"Find him! Find him!" King Dominic boomed with all his might, resulting in a fit of coughing and gasping.

A few tears streamed down Queen Nicola's face as she calmed her tired husband. She looked to Harrison, begrudgingly. "Harrison, I ask you this not as the queen but as a mother. If you know where my son is, pray tell us."

Harrison faltered, seeing the pain in her eyes, but was silent.

"Harrison! Then I command you, as queen, to relay to me where he was found the last time he had gone! Answer me!"

There was another pause, Harrison forcing the words out of his mouth. "If you ride to the wood, there is a path marked. Follow it through, and you'll find him in a cottage." He sat, his chest bursting.

The king's face fell. He yelled once again. "Gather some guards, Captain! You will lead us."

"I will accompany the king and queen." Princess Zendaya stated.

"I had no doubt about the matter." Harrison muttered, rising to give order to his men.

Harrison soon found himself a the head of a large company of guards, the royals riding in the center of them all. He kept his nerves of steel appearance, but felt like vomiting. The path was long, his stomach never calming and his head spinning out of control. When they finally came upon the cottage, he dismounted, almost falling over.

"I shall retrieve him your Majesty—" He turned to go dizzily.

"No! I don't trust you, Captain. I will be going inside to confront my betrothed." Princess Zendaya snapped, signaling for assistance in dismounting.

King Dominic and Queen Nicola dismounted as well, grimly looking into the short distance. "We will all go." He commanded. "Have the guards stay close and seal the perimeter."

"Yes, your Majesty." Harrison nodded, sealing his fate. The guards did as they were told, a couple staying close behind the royals with the rest surrounding the little place very quietly. Harrison listened closely when he approached the door, and upon hearing nothing he prayed that somehow they weren't there. He held his breath, hoping with all his might that maybe they ran off, and all that was to be found was an empty house. He finally pushed open the door, the moonlight revealing Tom and Beth in bed together, sound asleep.

"You horrid bastard!" Princess Zendaya shrieked, causing the sleeping star-crossed lovers to shoot up out of their peaceful dream worlds.

"Dear God—" Tom looked up in horror, seeing his fiancé as well as the guards and his parents. He looked to Harrison, who began to shake his head in sorrow and shame.

"Guards! Arrest the Captain and that woman!" King Dominic bellowed with angry, hurt filled voice.

"No—no no please wait—" Tom struggled to hold Beth close as she was roughly pulled away from him. She began to weep, futilely attempting to conceal her immodest state. Tom turned his head to see Harrison being held roughly, his wrists being tied behind his back. "Haz—"

"I'm sorry Tom. I tried." Harrison desperately fought the burning sensation to cry, although there was little left of his dignity.

"You! You snake! What makes you so bold as to think yourself worthy of a prince?" Zendaya pressed, her eyes burning into Beth's skin. Beth yelped as the first knot was yanked on the rope tying her hands. Zendaya scoffed. "Don't get comfortable, slut, for the rope will soon be snapping your neck—"

"You will not talk to her that way! I won't stand for it!" Tom screamed, lunging at Zendaya, but was held back by two nearby guards.

"Your Majesties I would advise you to control your son!" She hissed, upset at his defense of the peasant he was lying with. She knew then why he would never love her, yet she was already resigned to the fact that his heart was not with her.

"Thomas, stand down, and make yourself decent. It's disgraceful enough to have been unfaithful, but your betrothed shouldn't see you in your drawers." Queen Nicola begged him.

"Mother—"

"Do as I say, Thomas!"

He stared at her in disbelief, shocked at her lack of empathy. He pulled on his trousers, his face hard as stone. He grumbled as he fiddled with his shirt, feeling the stabbing pain of the silence.

"Guards, see that the prisoners are locked up upon returning. Hang them at dawn." King Dominic ordered, trying to disguise the pain in his voice.

"Hang the Captain sir—" One guard protested without thinking.

"I gave you my orders!" He coughed out, clutching his chest. "Now go!"

"Father, no! I can't let you do this!" Tom pleaded, shaking. "I know you don't want to do this—Harrison is like your son! I know you don't want him dead! I know you don't—and God father please spare her! I love her—I'll do anything please!"

"Anything?" Princess Zendaya perked up, a sly smile tugging on her lips. She couldn't help but be cynical, having been slighted the way she was.

"What could you possibly want with me now, Zendaya?"

"Considering your position, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss me. Although you've made a habit of it." She glared at Beth, making the poor girl squirm. "I was only going to suggest a compromise."

"A compromise?"

"Of course. I'm known for my generosity."

"What do you propose?"

"If you'll make the promise to love me as you should, never speaking of this witch again, then I will let the Captain live and our marriage will go as planned—"

"What about Beth?"

Zendaya shook her head. "She cannot live! Or else you'll pine for her. You forget I can declare war on your kingdom for this!"

The weary king stepped in, putting an arm around his son. "Thomas, that may be the best deal you will get, and it is far more than you deserve. I beg you to see reason—"

Tom pulled away from him, disgusted. "Reason?? Frankly I don't see any reason why she should lose her life for this!"

"You have no one to blame but yourself!" The king spat. Tom's eyes widened in pain, but he was completely ignored by his desperate father. King Dominic swiftly turned to Zendaya, barking out his orders. "He accepts! Harrison may be freed!"

Zendaya smirked, seeing the relief in Harrison's face. Oh, how she disliked him. "A moment, your Majesty. Only Thomas can accept my offer. Well?"

Tom looked to his best friend, tied up and scared out of his mind. Harrison's face was pitiful, silently entreating him to accept. Tom then looked to his love, weeping softly in the grip of the guards. She nodded, smiling softly, trying to tell him it would be alright. Tom couldn't bear the thought of her hanging in the gallows like a common criminal. It broke him. "Is there any other way besides death, Zendaya?"

"No—" She started.

"What about...marriage?" Queen Nicola finally spoke, lifting her chin high in attempt to distract from her tear streaked face.

"Marriage??" Zendaya laughed. "Whatever do you mean, Queen Nicola?"

"Suppose the girl was married off and banished?"

Zendaya paused, considering it. "I'm intrigued."

"Once she is married, she is bound by God, and distance as well as the discretion of their location will keep Thomas away. Would that satisfy you?"

"But who would marry this wretch? Hm? She's as plain as a mouse."

The queen motioned to Harrison, causing Beth to gasp quietly. Harrison and Tom exchanged frantic glances, unsure of how this painful solution would play out. "He must pay for his crimes somehow, seeing that he can no longer be trusted. He is, however, of some importance. We do not wish to put him to death."

Zendaya could hardly contain her excitement. She felt her former self slipping away, and her heart turned cold like the metal of a royal crown. "What a sensational idea, your Majesty. We shall discuss the details back at the palace."